Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick RAM Question

• Please log in to reply

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Ok my PC came with a Samsung 256mb DDR SDRAM. Speed is PC2700 (166Mhz). Because my video card eats up 32 mb, Only 224 mb remains.

I wanted to upgrade my RAM. If I bought a Kingston 512mb DDR 333Mhz *or* 400Mhz stick would it work well with my other stick? I wan't to combine them.

Thanx

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
For the best advice on what is compatable with your system, visit Crucial.com and let them scan your system (about half-way through the website you'll see this option). It's free and accurate!

You don't have to buy their RAM sticks, but at least you'll know exactly what's compatable with your system.

Let me know if you need anything else. :whistling:

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Ok it says These: http://www.crucial.c...mp;tabid=AM#ram
are compatibile. I think the Kingston 333Mhz should work fine but can you just check.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, a Kingston 333Mhz will be perfect. :whistling:

NOTE: When operating on the insides of your computer, make sure you are using an anti-static wrist strap, or you have discharged all static electricity by touching the metal part of the computer case. Even the slightest amount of static electricity (an amout that CANNOT be felt) can permanently damage a computer's equipment.

In addition, make sure you physically unplug the computer from its power source.

Also, while you have it open, might as well give it a good cleaning with a can of compressed air.

NOTE: When cleaning with compressed air, if you clean the fans of your computer, don't shoot a steady stream of air on them, you could make them spin much faster than they were designed to go, and thus wear them out. Give short quick bursts instead.

Let me know how it goes, or if you have any other questions. :blink:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 05 September 2006 - 12:21 PM.

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Thanks for the information.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
anytime :whistling:

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Just note that if you run the new 333MHz RAM alongside the old 166MHz RAM, then the new stuff will be forced to run at 166MHz.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
The reason why your video card eat up some memory is because it's shared memory. Usually, The video card that is onboard is shared memory.

I dont know this is not really necessary on this thread, If you put in a AGP card and you disabled the onboard video card, the memory will be 256MB instead of 224MB. :whistling: