Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer wont run on admin account :-(

• Please log in to reply

counterattack

counterattack

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I'm new and I need some help... :blink:

I needed a DVD player so I went to limewire, downloaded this "easyplayer" or something... Opened it and I get an error..

Now when I try and log back on, I just see my wallpaper, no icons... no taskbar... And get a windows message, something like "For your computers safety we have closed windows explorer"... I may have seen "DEP" or something... I did the ctrl,alt,del... started a new task "explorer" ... and I get a small grey box with the red error cross, the window is headed "kwd001"...

So now I'm posting on a limited user account, cant download anything, well I can but it wont install... and my head is hurting... :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you do not have an XP CD and are unable to borrow one, run the scan, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel.

If it kept asking for the XP CD then system files are missing

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

counterattack

counterattack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
... Dont have an XP CD.. :whistling:

Would any of the cd's from ebay work?

Could anyone show me an auction on ebay that I should buy... by PM if thats against the rules ..

As I think I'm screwed without it???

Thanks for the reply anyway Keith.. :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you borrow one

Is system restore on

counterattack

counterattack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Also.. I tried the first step... and "Prefetch is not accessible" :-(

counterattack

counterattack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
wouldnt be sure about "system restore"...

I'm very limited in this account as it's for my 10yr old... I cant do nothing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

counterattack

counterattack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Found a copy of ewido AMal... so I'm going to see how the scan goes... unless this wont help at all and I should stop now??

I'm trying to print your post Keith and Im going to try that... getting printer problems now...

just note- when I very first turn on my pc... i get black background with white code type text... there two options and and 30sec timer... I just hit enter... is your process still OK?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the text show two versions of windows

counterattack

counterattack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I think they do yes... i think i see "Proffessional"... but I cant confirm... Im waiting till this ewido finishes then I'll check then post again... How long will you be online for?

Do you use msn, aim?

Thanks for this help Keith..

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See what the scan shows

Try safe mode

Try safe mode with networking

With the system restore option, you need a system checkpoint before you downloaded the player

This will play most things

http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/

counterattack

counterattack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I think I fixed... it found 65 infected... it cleaned 50odd then got stuck... asked if I wanted to remove whole archive or something... then cleaned all 65... I can now log in as admin... but my desktop is looking like this...

Posted Image

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you use active desktop then click restore my active desktop

If you get something you don't usually have

http://support.micro...com/kb/q171437/

counterattack

counterattack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
My desktop was the standard XP fiel and hills... :-S

the player wouldnt play my DVD...

could you help me with the WMP problem - cant perform operation - low memory...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start

Right click My Computer

Click properties

Click advanced

Click settings for performance

Click advanced

Click change for virtual memory