Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Power Issue

• Please log in to reply

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Ok the other day my computer started taking forever to boot up. When i clicked my Username to logon to xp it locked up and i had to restart the pc manually by pressing the reset button on the case. Anyways i shut it off and added a floppy drive so i could make a floppy i could boot off to run a memory test. When i turned it back on it didnt recgonize the foppy drive as being connect. so i shut it off and disconnected the floppy ATA cable and disconnected the power cord to the floppy drive. So basically i took the floppy out and put it back the way it was. When i push the power button now my pc turns on for literally half a second (all fans spinning and everything) then shuts off.

My pc is plugged into a battery back up system/surge protector. I can hear the battery back up/surge protector kicking in and shutting off. I am wondering if i plug my pc directly into the wall if it will fry my PSU or something of that nature will happen. Any input is welcome. Thanks guys. I really dont know what to do this time.

Edited by Longhorns242, 05 September 2006 - 02:58 PM.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I suspect you have several problems. The first thing is to reseat your memory and cards. The instant turning off of your computer sounds link a memory module may not be seated properly. Memory becoming loose is not an uncommon event when adding hardware. You should also replace the BIOS (motherboard) battery. A bad battery can make a computer act very strangely.
Second it sounds like you may have a malware problem which is not related to the current problem.
Since you posted this topic have you tried plugging straight to the power, by-passing the UPS?

Edited by acklan, 07 September 2006 - 04:37 AM.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
today i bought a new Antec 430 Watt PSU and put it in reseated memory vid card and sound card and i still get the asme problem. I changed out bios battery and then moved the jumper to pinds 2 and 3 and back to 1 and 2 to reset bios.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I have one more suggestion. Look on the motherboard next ot the processor. There are going to be several small "Can" looking componants. These are capacitors. If they are not round with a flat top the are bad. If the are leaking brown fliuld or paste they are bad. I have included a link to help you identify if you have a problem with your capacitors.

http://www.badcaps.net/

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i checked the capicators throughout the entire motherboard and they are all flat cylinders. Do u think i could of fried my cpu

Edited by Longhorns242, 08 September 2006 - 01:36 PM.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
That is possible. Have you taken the processor out of it's socket of late? If so did you remove the old thermal paste and apply a thin fresh layer before anchoring the heat sink?
If you remove the processor you can inspect it to see if it has burned marks on it. That is not 100%, but if it does have such marks then I would bet it is bad. If you do not have enough, or to much thermal paste it will over heat and act as if the CPU is bad.