Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP ME Out, Im Trying To Install XP on A PC That Used To Have ' M

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
My old computer had boot problems that I've posted here, and the only way I could fix it was to get the windows ME disk but couldn't find anybody that had it.

So I just want to install Windows XP on it since i have the disc

Im using a Win98 Bootdisk to enter commands

I just reformated the C: drive

and I put the Windows XP disk in , it says Runtime Error 200 Not Able to boot disk

What should I do?

How can I get to the installation set up?

Thanks for reading

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Get into your bios( usually hitting the delete key while booting up) and set the boot order to cdrom first. You will be using the arrow keys and the enter keys to get to the boot order. Once you have changed the order use the Esc key to get out of the bios. Say YES when it prompts you to save the changes. Open the drive tray, insert the XP cd, and reboot the computer. Windows should start installing.

I would also clean the cd. A speck of dirt can cause the computer to read a file wrong.

SRX660

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
The PC Doesnt go into BIOS..the Boot Disk im using is a windows 95 Not 98

With the XP Disk in the CD-Rom, the PC Starts up trying to load it first but it says Unable To Boot CD

Something is NOT working right

the Win95 Screen Slashes ane goes right to Command Prompt whether the Boot Disk is in or not.

I don't know if I should reformat some other command ?

Thanks for your reply

EDIT:::::::::: I got to Clean the Disk :whistling: ..that should be the problem, Il post back with progress

Edited by Charliee03, 05 September 2006 - 07:40 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Computers built before windows 98 came out do not have the software coding for the cdrom drives to read a bootable cd. Thus your computer does not support booting from a cdrom drive. Do not use a win 95 boot disk. It would be easier to use a win 98 boot disk or the 6 floppy disk boot disk setup file from microsoft.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=310994

Heres a site with the options.

http://www.webtechge...wsXP.htm#instop

Make sure your computer will run XP. In reality anything less than a 1 gig processor computer will run XP rather poorly. It would be far better to try buying a win 98 cd off Ebay and using a 98 boot floppy to install it.

SRX660

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I GOT IT TO RUN :whistling:

Setup Is going through

Thanks for the help

Edited by Charliee03, 05 September 2006 - 08:37 PM.