Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I am having "virtual memory low" messages pop up on my screen. I have been reading all types of "tutorials", but all are different. I don't want to mess anything up. When this happens, I am running DIVXtoDVD (converting a movie) and norton anti-virus. Anyways, this has happened twice now in two days, when I'm converting.

One of the topics I was reading with similar subject had the person look at the event viewer and see if there were any errors. I have some application errors. I have no idea what this means. Just trying to give all the info I can to help.

Event provider attempted to register query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceCreationEvent WHERE TargetInstance ISA "MPSSVC_Agent" " whose target class "MPSSVC_Agent" does not exist. The query will be ignored.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Event provider attempted to register query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceCreationEvent WHERE TargetInstance ISA "MPSSVC_Agent" " whose target class "MPSSVC_Agent" does not exist. The query will be ignored.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Basically I want to get rid of this message and speed up my computer/internet. Would software claiming to speed up/re-configure the cpu really help? Or can I make some adjustments myself.

Thanks in advance to all you "geeks". Last time I was here I felt confident I was getting the right info. Appreciate it!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start

Right click My Computer

Click properties

Click advanced

Click settings for performance

Click advanced

Click change for virtual memory

Put the dot in system managed

Click set

Click OK

Reboot

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have done this now, just need to reboot. I will try to DIVXtoDVD again and see if it works now. Never had any problems with it before. I'll let you know how it's doin. Thanks.

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well the conversion finished and no low memory message came up, so thats good...but I couldn't do anything else on the cpu while it was going. I used to be able to surf the internet. Something has changed and I don't know what. Maybe this is a job for the malware section? Anyways, thanks for the help. I got my movie. I think I still need help though, if it's possible. Thanks.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.filehippo...d_java_runtime/

try downloading that it should help

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I already have that. Thanks

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
guess you got more programs running at start up did you download or install new programs
if you did when did the low memory began

you may need more memory by installing another 128 ram

this is just an option ....you could try disabling programs that are not important for start p if you want you can always update programs at a later time

BUT keep firewall and antivirus running

Edited by rushin1nd, 07 September 2006 - 10:19 PM.

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I just bought more ram. 512 mbs. I will work on the start up programs. I appreciate your help. I did install new programs, some music software. Uninstalled one of them, still not helping. Do you think a memory leak is the cause? I heard of it with firefox, and I run that all the time. Anyway to fix that?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what do you mean converting a movie is it a download
ever heard of a program called dvd shrink

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Converting means a conversion of formats. I use DIVX to DVD to make an .AVI file to DVD(VOB). The movies are downloaded, yes. I have DVD shrink and love it, it works only for making an exact copy of a dvd, though. Again, thanks for your interest in helping me and taking your up free time.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try CTRL....ALT ...and.... DELETE check process

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Virtual memory is produced by windows using hard drive space. If you have a 200GB drive which is mostly free then its default setting of 1.5 times RAM memory is fine. Once the drive is almost full, windows is looking for more space than their is available to produce the amount of virtual memory it wants to, and throws in the virtual memory low message

System managed adjusts virtual memory to the actual amount of space on the drive

Converting a Video requires more free drive space than the size of video file

You can check how much of the drive is free

You can check the memory with memtest

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I will try the Memtest. Thanks. And with looking at the processes, what am I supposed to be looking for. Sometimes I have problems with something called decoder.exe,it won't shut off, well I have seen this in my processes recently. But I can usually end the task.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got any other Video converters

ConvertXtoDVD can say it is up to date when it isn't

http://www.vso-softw...nvert_x_to_dvd/

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
memory is good. I have DivxToDVD, not ConvertXtoDVD. It's their newer product. I probably just need to buy that to replace the one I have. Basically, I'm wondering why its acting different now. But it worked for me fine last night while I was asleep. (finished a conversion) So I guess my problem is gone. Thanks for all of the good ideas. I will buy the newer program when I get a chance and the money to pay for it. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated. Like, are there any free programs that convert movie files to DVD? But anyways, I guess that's it. Thanks again, to all the geeks.