Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop crashes

• Please log in to reply

steveboyd

steveboyd

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Windows 2000pro. Computer routinely crashes even when idle. Virus scans also trigger crash after running a few minutes. Screen reads "STOP: 0x000000044 etc MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS beginning dump of physical memory"

Ideas ?

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Hi Steve and welcome to GeeksToGo.
What antivirus are you using and how long ago did this start? Have you checked the Event Viewer, in the Administrative Tools? If there is and error message what is it (Exact message please)?
Have you try "Last Known Good Configuration" from the "Boot Menu"?

steveboyd

steveboyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Windows 2000pro. Computer routinely crashes even when idle. Virus scans also trigger crash after running a few minutes. Screen reads "STOP: 0x000000044 etc MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS beginning dump of physical memory"

Ideas ?

Thanks for your response. There are 2524 events listed. The most recent (and commomn) are:
Warning: tcpip
Warning: Dnsapi
Error: Removeable storage service
Error: W32time
Error: Netlogon

I will try the Boot menu suggestion and advise.

Thanks

steveboyd

steveboyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi Steve and welcome to GeeksToGo.
What antivirus are you using and how long ago did this start? Have you checked the Event Viewer, in the Administrative Tools? If there is and error message what is it (Exact message please)?
Have you try "Last Known Good Configuration" from the "Boot Menu"?

This will clearly display my computer ignorance. Where do I find the Boot Menu ?

steveboyd

steveboyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The virus software is NOD32

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
The boot menu is the menu you come to when you select F8. It is the same place you find Safe Mode.
As far as virus detection causing a crash, look in the Event Viewer and post the most resent error messages. You could also download the latest version and reinstall NOD32. This may take 30 minutes to and hour, but would be faster than trying to diagnose the problem. I will stick with you which ever way you chose to go.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP

This will clearly display my computer ignorance. Where do I find the Boot Menu ?

We all had to start somewhere. At least you know enough to ask for help. It wont be long and you will be the one answering the questions

steveboyd

steveboyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The NOD32 was updated earlier today (automatically).

Tried the F8 and successfully started with the last safe configuration. Tried the virus scan as it has guaranteed a crash in the past. After about 3 minutes of scanning I got a frozen blue screen with:
***STOP: 0X0000004 (0X8667E968, 0X00000D39, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
MULTIPLE-IRP-COMPLETE-REQUESTS
Beginning dump of physical memory

Could only re-start by holding the power button.

Checked the application log. The corresponding (chronologically) entry reads: WMDM PMSP Service The Service was started
The System log's last entry is 6/11/2006

steveboyd

steveboyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

We all had to start somewhere. At least you know enough to ask for help. It wont be long and you will be the one answering the questions

Not sure you got my last e-mail. I may have relied to my self. In case, here it is:
The NOD32 was updated earlier today (automatically).

Tried the F8 and successfully started with the last safe configuration. Tried the virus scan as it has guaranteed a crash in the past. After about 3 minutes of scanning I got a frozen blue screen with:
***STOP: 0X0000004 (0X8667E968, 0X00000D39, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
MULTIPLE-IRP-COMPLETE-REQUESTS
Beginning dump of physical memory

Could only re-start by holding the power button.

Checked the application log. The corresponding (chronologically) entry reads: WMDM PMSP Service The Service was started
The System log's last entry is 6/11/2006

The system crashed again shortly after the e-mail. It re-started itself but with a message that the NOD32 would be inoperable.

steveboyd

steveboyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The boot menu is the menu you come to when you select F8. It is the same place you find Safe Mode.
As far as virus detection causing a crash, look in the Event Viewer and post the most resent error messages. You could also download the latest version and reinstall NOD32. This may take 30 minutes to and hour, but would be faster than trying to diagnose the problem. I will stick with you which ever way you chose to go.

Problem solved. I noticed the fan was running a lot. I removed the cover and found a dust bunny in the heat sink blocking the airflow. Removed it and everything seems fine.

Thanks for your help.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Sometimes it is the simply things that cause the bigest problems. I am glad it is resolved.