Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Games Will Not Run

• Please log in to reply

rkrote

rkrote

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After playing online for a year I recently installed a game that requires the cd to be in the drive. The game appeared to install fine, Diablo II, but will not run. I double click the desktop icon, the start screen comes up, I click play, the drive spins up, the green drive lite flashes, nothing happens.

so, ok, I double click my desktop icon for Dawn of War, played a year ago, but not since. The box comes up and says No disc. I put disc 1 in and click retry. The Dawn of War splash box comes up with Play at the top. I click Play and I get the spinning disc mouse icon, the cd drive spins, but the game does not start.

I had deamon tools installed at one point, but unistalled it using control pannel.

any thoughts??

thanks

rkr

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Open up Explorer and see if it sees the cd. If it does have you changed driver letters?

Try another cd and see if you can access it (like an audio cd). if you can't then you may have a bad cd-rom drive. Also make sure your media is clean and free of dirt, smudges, and scratches.

rkrote

rkrote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply Starjax.

The drive still has the same drive letter that it always has, E.
I can play a music cd on the drive.
I swapped in another old drive I had sitting around, and got the same problem.
I tried multiple game cds, all original and very clean - same problem with each.

I think I might have to 'repair' windows to get this to work again.

I am currently seeking around the net to get current copies of drivers and some other freebie software I have so that I can install the latest upon 'repair'.

Unless you have some other ideas.

thanks again

rkr

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well I would try removing the game. rebooting the pc. making sure the folder where the game was installed is fully removed. then reinstall.

I would suggest a system restore, but I doubt if you have restore points going back an entire year. which is why is suggested a removal and reinstall of the game as the first step.