Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

generic worm QY found by AVG

• Please log in to reply

kwilk

kwilk

• Pip
  • 4 posts
First I apologize if I am posting incorrectly. I have been searching geeks to try to resolve my problem to no avail. First I received a message(pop up) stating that there was no disk.
OH! I should mention that I am running XP media edition.
When I went to task manager to get rid of the pop up, it pointed to CSRSS.exe (manditory file?) I went throught the steps I found to correct the problem....through msconfig. I didn't find any errors,and the computer worked well for about 24 hrs. It then stopped connecting to the internet. I live in the boonies and cannot get dsl so I am still stuggling with dial up. I did a loopback test, ran modem diagnostics, and checked my connection settings. I ran an updated AVG virus scan. It came up with a generic QY worm? I haven't been able to connect that computer to the internet since and I have not been able to find anything on a generic QY worm. Any help is appreciated. I kept my old 98 box just in case.
I'm not sure if the 2 things are related. I did follow the steps as best I could with the steps you said to follow first prior to posting. Thanks in advance

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hello kwilk,
Welcome to Geeks To Go! I'm Sarahw and I'll be helping you.
I need you to post a hijack this log.
Please go Here and download the newest version 1.99.1. Please be sure to save it to a permanent directory, such as C:\Prgram Files\HJT.

You will need to be logged on as an Administrator to complete the fix. Please read the fix in it's entirity then complete the instructions. If you don't understand anything don't be afraid to ask.

kwilk

kwilk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello kwilk,
Welcome to Geeks To Go! I'm Sarahw and I'll be helping you.
I need you to post a hijack this log.
Please go Here and download the newest version 1.99.1. Please be sure to save it to a permanent directory, such as C:\Prgram Files\HJT.

You will need to be logged on as an Administrator to complete the fix. Please read the fix in it's entirity then complete the instructions. If you don't understand anything don't be afraid to ask.

kwilk

kwilk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you sara. Since the computer is new and I didn't have too much saved, I just ran recovery. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has had the same problem? I apologize for taking time away from the forum. Would it be a good idea to run a hijackthis file on a clean computer so I have something to compare to in the event that something like this happens again? I'm very happy to have found the site and will use it/read on a regular basis since I am not a geek. But would love to be. Thanks to all the wizards out there that can help those of us who aren't as talented. Kudos! :whistling:

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hello kwilk,

Running an Antivirus and Firewall is often enough to protect your computer from malicous threats.
If you are infected, read Here , then post a Hijack This log.
As you are always installing or deleting software, the Hijack This Log always changes. Some entries cannot be removed with Hijack This alone and require special tools. Fixing some entries with Hijack This may cause some programs not to work.
If you are still experiencing any problems run the tools and post a Hijack This log with a brief description of your symptoms. :whistling:

Sarahw

kwilk

kwilk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you Sara will try your advice. Sorry have been busy at work so I am delayed in response. I appreciate you time/help.
K

Hello kwilk,

Running an Antivirus and Firewall is often enough to protect your computer from malicous threats.
If you are infected, read Here , then post a Hijack This log.
As you are always installing or deleting software, the Hijack This Log always changes. Some entries cannot be removed with Hijack This alone and require special tools. Fixing some entries with Hijack This may cause some programs not to work.
If you are still experiencing any problems run the tools and post a Hijack This log with a brief description of your symptoms. :whistling:

Sarahw