Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java and chat issue- cannot find this onthe web

• Please log in to reply

droxy

droxy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok-

I scoured thenet looking for a similar problem but have not found one like mine. So here I am hat in hand.

Scenaro- I am tryingto log into chat and the window opens but the chat won't activate. The java console gives me this:

Java Plug-in 1.5.0_06
Using JRE version 1.5.0_06 Java HotSpot™ Client VM

java.lang.NullPointerException
at Message.getNick(Unknown Source)
at Client.processMessage(Unknown Source)
at Client.onDataReceive(Unknown Source)
at Connection.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

The above is all I get from the console.

Now I cleaned my cache and the zone alarm setting are set to fix a problem like this, i set the site to trustes, etc. etc. I dumped old java versions that seemed to fix other problems like this but it did not work. The java will work at sites like parachat. I can get to the chat site by using a workaround of turning off zonealarm and turning on windows firewall, I will not expose my systm to the internet naked! Why is is this goffy problem occuring. I suspect somethign with zonealarm, the sit worked two weeks ago. Others can still get into the chat site. Needless to say the zonealarm is new (version is 6.5.722 ) and my spouse insists I use this due to the antivirus in the pro version. The site I am trying to get into is here http://www.obscurusbooks.org/chat.html you can use a guest login to test it.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Make sure ZA is set to prompt or allow Java? I was able to connect as a guest, but it hesitated so long that I wondered if it was going to work. I was prompted by Norton that a Java Applet was trying to run. If ZA has blocked Java applets, that is most likely the problem.
Johanna
(Thank you for posting a family friendly site- I had quite a shock this morning clicking on a link from another user...LOL)

droxy

droxy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll give it another try, since ZA had an update. But what bugs me is the zone alarm allows to to open up other java driven chat sites, such as parachat. So I am confounded as to what to allow or how to allow it.

Re- family friendly- this is the only site giving me this java problem. It's a chat site for folks who write fanfiction on the internet. it's a fun hobby. But when I was seaching for a fix to this problem you would not beleive what I found-LOL

Maybe I should try as a guest...

droxy

droxy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok it is working, but like you said it takes awhile for it to click.

Since I updated ZA on 9/8/2006.

I do not have norton AV, I have used ZA AV and my machine runs so much faster.

But here is what I did that ultimately made it work.

I turned on privacy settings notification in ZA.

I expanded my Java onconsul to full trace capability.

This showed the actual site of being irc.

When the privacy alert popped up sting private headers, I clicked it and allowed provate headers. This seems to have been a key. But what boggles me is this site worked previously and then suddenly it did not, since I never changed the headings.

Thanks for your help!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Thank you for posting back how you found your solution. You never know who your answer will help someday!
Johanna