Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow start-up

• Please log in to reply

Beesly

Beesly

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
For the past few weeks ever since I have renewed my subscription to McAfee, I have noticed the time it takes for my computer to start up has become quite a bit slower. I renewed a subscription McAfee VirusScan, Personal Firewall, and Privacy Service. I also added (for free) McAfee SpamKiller and QuickClean.
When I bring up my Task Manager now it has 52 processes running with just one of the application being used (my current Firefox page). It seems as if this number of processes has increased by several since my new renewal to McAfee. I guess I need to ask.... is this too many processes to be running? Has anyone noticed that this many processes occur with McAfee? Secondly, what can I do to make my start up quicker? Also upon start up, the McAfee Uninstaller always starts up and asks me if I want to uninstall McAfee, how can I get this to stop? Something must be running in the start-up with that, but I do not know how to fix it.
Above all, does this make sense as to why my PC and start-up are running slower? I am up-to-date on Spyware protection and I scanned and did come back w/ a few problems there, but I am unsure if that would have anything to do with the slow start-up. Any input would be very appreciated! Thanks a lot.

Attached File  AdAware090506.TXT   29.84KB   48 downloads
Attached File  SpybotSD090506.txt   715bytes   40 downloads

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Unfortunately Macafee, along with Norton, do slow your computer down considerably because of the number of processes they add to your system, especially so if your are running a suite of macafee security products such as yours (the same happens with Norton Internet Security.

These additional processes means your computer takes longer to be 'ready to use' and they use up more of your memory so your PC is also slower to react to commands.

The degree to which this affects your PC will be all the greater if your system specs (RAM and CPU) are already on the borderline for what Windows XP requires to run smoothly. If that's the case, Macafee and Norton products should be avoided.

I'm running a free firewall and a free AV scanner, neither of which cause such problems yet provide protection as least as good as those you pay for without the hassle. Why anyone actually pays for such protection when it's available free without gobbling up your memory is a puzzle to me.

Antivirus - Avast Home Edition: http://www.avast.com...ast_4_home.html

Firewall - ZoneAlarm:
http://www.zonelabs....p...=GB&lang=en