Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection Speed problem for a networked college dorm.

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
oopps double post

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 06 September 2006 - 10:39 PM.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sk0rch, I know that you are in a dorm and I know that the service is offered freely by the university that you are attending. If you wish, I will continue to try and help you verify where the latency is coming from. I am aware that dorms do experience a large amount of latency from other users with high traffic (If the IT department doesnt know how to block the ports that P2P programs operate on - lets hope that is not the case.).

But it would really suck if you just accepted a quick canned answer of "your in a dorm and your being lagged out by others" versus trying to actually verify, that is the problem instead of troubleshooting the problem and proving that maybee the latency is coming from a different server that you have not connected through before, or that your cat5 cord is defective, or that your newest microsft update messed up your nic card, or any other sleugh of probabilities.

Lets not get sidetracked here with other users trying to be helpful . Dorms usually turn off ICMP or filter it.. which is why you are unable to ping anything. In your first post you said

and I ping 15 here also, and then every 30 seconds, it will fluctuate to 150-800 ping, and consistently stay there for 2-5 minute intervals, and then lag-free for 30 seconds, and then repeat.

With an Emphasis on the first 6 words... "and I ping 15 here also,"

If we are unable to ping now, how were you able to ping earlier. were you using the command prompt like we are now, or are you using the games internal ping function.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yes I understand that it MAY not be caused by the dorm's connection. You say there is a chance that it is my PC. But like I said, I play the exact same server at home with the same PC, yet I ping fine there. So the only variable is my connection. So of course that has to be the problem.

And for your question, I can check my ping anytime, I just open up CS, and it will say my ping/latency for any particular server.

I know from my friend that my university does not block p2p programs, because my friend was downloading. But then he found out that the university does MONITOR to make sure no one is downloading from p2p programs, but they just monitor and catch you, is what they claim. But I doubt it.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I've already determined that the connection is the problem, unless you can prove otherwise.

I was on at like 2 AM last night, and I did not lag spike once, probably because most of the school was asleep.

I made this thread to ask if there was anything that I can do to increase my ping, or am I powerless?

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I guess there is nothing I can do?

matromes

matromes

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
I had a similar problem in large apartment building. I disconnected my ethernet cable, set up a wireless router and connected using a wireless nic. Wooooooish. My high speed returned and I was suddenly able to access websites that previously would timeout. Either my ethernet nic or my ethernet cable was bad. I haven't bothered to figure out which because I am just so happy to be zipping along again.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
So if I set up a wireless router it might fix it? I thought wireless would slow it down even more.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I'm thinking of getting my own internet now, this is getting ridiculous.

matromes

matromes

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
scorch-did you figure out anything on your connection problem?

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Nope, it sucks, I emailed the school but they have not responded to me.

As of now, I can only play without lag during like 2 AM.

Advertisements

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Anyone?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
by your description this is sounding like it's a usage problem with the network itself...pretty much gonna have to wait on the schools IT folk

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
The network manager person contacted me, I went under network connections, right clicked Local Area Connection, clicked properties, which opened up Broadcom Netlink ™ Gigabit Ethernet Properties, from there I clicked Advanced, then under Speed & Duplex, under Value I changed it from Auto to 10 MB Half. I did notice some improvement in web browsing, and a minor improvement in the speed of the game, nothing drastic though. That was Friday, and now when I'm back at my dorm, it is Sunday and the speed is back to horrible, if not worse.

So I was wondering if you guys know anything about this Broadcom Netlink ™ Gigabit Ethernet Properties, and if there is a way I can tweak it for more speed. And yes I did try other values under Speed & Duplex, there were 3 other ones besides 10 MB Half and Auto, there was 10 MB Full and 100 MB half, and 100 MB full. Although the 100 MB's didn't even connect.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Anyone?

neora

neora

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi Skr0ch,

In most university networks like other campus networks ICMP (trace routes, pings, etc) are blocked. And mostly gaming sites are also blocked. Please check the university internet use policy. Just a thot, cus that's how it's in my uni dorm.