Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Floppy, CD -RW / DVD Rom Drives not recognizing discs

• Please log in to reply

heathermb769

heathermb769

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Hello folks :whistling:

I have an emachine computer that does not recognize discs in either the floppy drive or the cd-rw / dvd rom drive.

Device manager shows both as "working properly."

Have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, and the system indicates that I have the most recent drivers available for both devices.

Went through window's help troubleshooting for both (what a waste!) with no success.

cd drive will open and accept a cd / dvd. When I get to windows media or the dvd playing software, I get an error that no disk is in the drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Advertisements

Scrilla

Scrilla

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
You could try checking the connections of the ribbon type cables that are connected to thoes devices, both on the device and the motherboard end of things. I'm guessing its that because if they open and close you've got power. Can't hurt to try it. :whistling:

heathermb769

heathermb769

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Yep, did that too (sorry, forgot to mention it) and it still won't read. The floppy drive gives me a message that A: is not accessible; No ID Address mark can be found on the floppy.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would put a cd or dvd in the drive.

Go to start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

Then go to Disk Management and click on the cd drive. Does it say No Media under the drive letter? Also right click on the drives and go into properties. Make sure it says that the device is enabled and working properly.

heathermb769

heathermb769

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
It does recognize that a disk is in the drive, and even that it is DVD_Video. Properties indicate taht the drive is enabled and working properly. Then powerdvd opens up to play the disk, and gives me the "No disk in drive" error.

heathermb769

heathermb769

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
just noticed that the A drive does not come up under computer management / disk management.

heathermb769

heathermb769

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Ugh, and when I ejected the movie, and put in an audio cd, it comes up as no media in drive. Same with a software disk. So...

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you have recently installed any updates or software to your computer that may be the problem. If not, maybe its a bad drive.