Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wont log on

• Please log in to reply

Thee Ox

Thee Ox

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi all,
My friend has a pc that wont log on at all. She gets a screen that gives an error message that reads ' disk error" on it. Sounds like a hard drive issue? She had problems reading email Friday, now she cant log on at all.
Please help. Shes my boss and I really could use abreak here at the office.

Thanks
Thee :whistling:

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Sorry...if you look at our Terms of Use

We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

If you don't have an IT department, you'll have to resort to your local computer repair shops

Thee Ox

Thee Ox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Its a home based operation if that makes any difference.
The boss is my wife.

Im tired of sleeping in the trunk of my car.
How bout some help here.

Thee Ox

Thee Ox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I said she was a friend cause I did not want to let anyone know I work part time for my wife.
Oh...its a non for profit business also.
Thanks

Thee Ox

Thee Ox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
If you feel as if you cannot help, I understand.
You folks have been great to me in the past, helped me out of many scrapes.

Thanks anyway.

You all ROCK!!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Its a home based operation if that makes any difference.

Oh...its a non for profit business also.

That's a good enough situation for me. If any of the Mods say it's against the TOS, then they can close this thread. Until then, I'll help. :whistling:

She gets a screen that gives an error message that reads ' disk error" on it. Sounds like a hard drive issue?

Yes it does sound like a hard drive issue. What was the last thing you (or her) did on it before this happened?

Do you have an XP CD? If so, try this:

Insert the XP Installation CD and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.

When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console. When prompted, type the Administrator password (if you have not set this, press "Enter"). At the system prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter".

This should check your hard drive for problems, if it even shows up. Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 06 September 2006 - 01:50 PM.

Thee Ox

Thee Ox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Wiz,
Yer the bomb, baby.
Thanks soooo much for yer help.
I'll check around the house and look for the cd and do what you said.
I'll let you know what the results are.

Thanks again. :whistling:

Thee