Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows keeps locking up :(

• Please log in to reply

keith k

keith k

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My computer has recently started locking up for no reason. I have uninstalled all the software I have recently added,yet the problem remains.

Can anyone have a look a my log....do you see any errors?

Thanks for your help

:whistling:

edit: Attached HJT log

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 07 September 2006 - 02:17 PM.

Advertisements

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi, when you say lock up could you describe it in more detail please. Also have you added or done anything hardware related resently?

keith k

keith k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a gateway laptop and it locks up, every now and then,1 time per hour maybe.

When it locks up the computer does not respond and I have to restart.

When I restart it sometimes does not boot windows, even though the power comes on and the screen lights up.

I have unistalled my virus software and this seems to make the problems reduce a little however,I must have anti virus soft.....

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Experience has shown me that when any version of Windows "locks up," most often it is doing more than it is capable of doing at that moment. It does not have the resources to comply with your demands ...so it bails out!

Depending upon the quality of your machine, the amount of RAM you have, the size of the L1 and L2 caches which you set, the number of progs that are runing at the same time in the background, and the number of operations you are doing in the foreground, at the same time ...ALL WILL CONTRIBUTE TO A LOCK-UP when taken in concert.

SLOW APPROACH...

Reset the parameters of whatever you need, and can, to increase their sizes on all fronts.

Download and run "Process Explorer" [free] and check to see which progs are running ...record a hard copy of them on a note pad. See if you can go on about your regular business and induce a freeze up.

Work back wards from the systray...shut down some of those program...tick them off on your list. See if you can induce another freeze up under this new condition. If it does not happen, then maybe one of those progs was over taxing your system. If it does happen, proceed to Process Explorer, at the bottom of the list you will see the operations running that are not Windows dependent ...see if you can kill one or more that are not necessary, and whether you can induce another freeze up. Tick them off.

etc.... it all boils down to a process of elimination until you can isolate the problem program...

FAST APPROACH...

All that being said... I am an avid believer in reformatting to solve just about every problem that is software related on a computer...when the cause/cure is just beyond me to figure out. Many think that I am nuts :whistling: but after 12 years playing with these critters, I have found it less of a head ache just to go with the flow and be more careful with what I install next time ...and how I maintain what I do have installed.

Common sense and logic are your best and first line of defense. On one level, computers are as dumb as a brick and as blind as a bat, unless you do its "real" thinking for it, it will not cooperate, it does not know how to cooperate. So, save yourself hours, days, weeks of grief with a relatively simple to do reinstall of Windows, and a clean reinstall of only the most absolutely necessary 3rd party software.

On another level, I have also found that Windows is like a wonderful woman ...who needs careful and thoughtful consideration. Treat "her" kindly and "she" will treat you kindly.

Every error is the result of human input, or the lack of... , 95% of the time.

P.S. I like a wee program called "StopIt" found at [McDaniels Development] http://mcdev.com/w/

StopIt will easily point out which progs are running, and which can be killed on the spot...BE CAREFUL. When I freeze up, it is ususally when using my internet browser, I go to the StopIt shortcut in my taskbar and tap it, up it pops...I double click on the browser title, and pop...it's unfrozen! It is usually the last one or two problems that are causing the issue...you learn this over time.

Something to consider...then you can keep a log on your note pad of which progs are running, and which process you killed, and what happened as a result of it...again, a process of elimination.

Edited by b1caez01, 09 September 2006 - 10:12 AM.

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I think it may be somehthing along the lines of you GPU ofer heating (thats your graphics card) see if the bottom is perticualy hot?

keith k

keith k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
wow thanks for the detailed response!

I think the ram on my computer is not the cause, because I have a huge amount of memory....

but maybe a reformat would be a good idea...thanks

Haz....yeah the computer does get hot...i wonder if that could be it.....any tips on how to cool this down?

Cheers

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then sensor

Look on the right for temperatures, please post any it gives

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I personaly use a Notebook cooler for my one. How ever use the info in the post above to try and find out what it is :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
In the meantime, as we are waiting upon a solution ...consider that the size of your RAM is not necessarily a way to determine usefulness ... if one of those chips goes, the lot is not going to function correctly...check out MemTest86 to operate off a floppie on a reboot, or MemTest FOR Windows software ... http://hcidesign.com...t/download.html ...BOTH ARE FREE

...re: heat...put a couple of pencils beneath the lap-top to elevate it and see if this makes a difference... I also have a desktop fan that serves my lap top, my main frame, and me :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 11 September 2006 - 06:43 PM.