Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

start up

• Please log in to reply

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
sorry for the caps, im at work and my caps are always on...by the time i looked up it was almost to the end so i left them! anyway, theres a lot of #s on the bottom of the laptop. the make is a solo, model # 2300...theres nothing that says a "xp license #" though...i wrote down every other # though...should it start with a specific # or letter?thanks

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, that makes it hard for us because to do a repair we need the right cd for the right os. What make is it. Sony, dell, etc., let's start there then.

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
gateway 2000 solo

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I a betting that it is just a windowsXP home and we are still going for the easy option of repairing with a XP home cd as rocommended though for that you will still need to find someone to lend it too you.

However, some makers have hidden partitions which boot from BIOS the comp back into factory state.

Please cross reference the stuff on the back of your computer with the model range here,

http://support.gatew...rt/default.asp#

You may be in luck.

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok, i put in the serial # and this is what came up:

Model: SOLO 2300 XL BEST BUY
Serial #: 0007749810Edit
Ship Date: 8/25/1997
Warranty Info: Not Available

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, I am going to wait until you are absolutely sure that you don't have a friend who can lend you a copy of XP home for a few hours because honestly this would be the simplest way.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
so, as a total clueless person when it comes to puter, what youre saying is my best bet to fix my puter would be to get this disc and put it in the cd drive and turn on my puter...it will automatically do something at that point? also, are you telling me to find someone alse with a gateway 200 and see if they have this specific disc called a "xp home" disc? theyll know what im talking about if i ask them that? and if i have to, can i buy this disc at any puter store? any idea of the cost? and again, is this specifically for my year and brand puter? thankssssssssss!!

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Not exactly, half exactly then, you must find someone who has a copy of XP home (but any XP home cd will do, nothing to do with model or mark, repeat anyone who has a copy of XP home then)as a repairs only replaces faulty stuff with good stuff.

Stop maybe I have made a big mistake here, since I was looking at the other poster and not the thread name: are you absolutely sure that the system is XP, or do you have windows 2000 or windows 98second edition as your opperating system?

Edited by fleamailman, 14 September 2006 - 11:08 AM.

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
im not really sure...i believe it was a windows 95 (wasnt sure thats what you meant when your saying "xp"-a reference to windos)- im REALLY a novice and talk in really simple terms, apologies...ANYWAY, yes, i believe its a windows 95 ystem

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Okay, my fault I looked at the other guys thread and gave you the wrong advice, sorry, now I would like you to go back to the maker's site again and send them an email to find out more details. I feel that will will have not choice but to reinstall the opperating system that means we will need to know which system this machine was on because with older os(operating systems) the driver for the bits(graphics, sound, etc., are not normally on the os cd meaning that we will have to download the drivers from the maker's site too.

Advertisements

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
sounds indepth...ill try i guess. so youre saying i cant just buy a windows 95 cd from ebay(i found a "quick restore disc-virtual? and an "emergency boot disc" for sale...no good?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I would go for windows 98 second edition since window 95 in very very limited, but we don't know what your computer needs until you find out by sending an email to that maker's site requesting details. Eitherway, even if you succeed if installing the os, you will need the drivers for the bits. Hope this helps, I gave you the maker's site link before so now it is just contacting them for a while.

Edited by fleamailman, 14 September 2006 - 01:14 PM.

nawlins99

nawlins99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanks, i emailed them and sent them what you had last told me as well as give them the "short of it all"...we shall c...thanks again

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hope it works out then.
Sin.,
flea