Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Very annoyoing XP boot lock up after program installation

• Please log in to reply

skull_burner

skull_burner

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Right, this is really beginning to annoy the [bleep] out of me! - so any help would be appreciated! - its a long post but bare with me!

I've just formatted my rig and started to re-install all my programs, it all looks rosey going in, no problems or error messages but the chaos begins once after effects 7 is installed!

Now, i have had this problem with some other programs before my format (one of the reason for it) but it seems that after effects 7 is causing it now.

Once i install the program all looks good.. i can use the program fine.. nice and quick, no slowdowns or errors. BUT, once i restart the computer, it doesnt go past the XP loading screen (with the blue bars scrolling aross the bottom - the bars dont stop moving, but i've left it for like 30 mins so I know its dead)

Restarting it after that brings up the Safe mode menu... It will launch in safe mode and then I do a system restore. If i restore to before after effects is installed it still locks up on start up.. but if i restore to before the program 1 entry older than after effects it decides to boot up! (eg. if i installed photoshop, firefox then after effects, i would have to go back to a time before firefox for it to work)

I've updated all my drivers, flashed my bios but the problem remains.

SO.. end result is - i can run my computer but i cant install after effects - which i need

Another problem which doesnt concern me so much but may be related is sometimes after the lock up situation is resolved 1 of my video drives (not re-formatted) doesnt apear in explorer untill another restart.

My rig - the important stuff

AMD FX-55
2 gig corsair RAM
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
ATI Radeon X850XT PE PCI-Express
2x WD 200 Gig HDD - raided (striped) - partitioned to (C: & D:)
2x WD 300 gig HDD (did not format these - they just got AVID data and video)
XP pro (SP2)

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Check out the problem I had and see if Keith's answer can help you...

http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry778985