Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp sp2

• Please log in to reply

foot

foot

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Does any one have any idea why sp2 would hang up on install?I have formatted so many times I had to call microsoft to activate. The last it really screwed my system up where even a repair did not do much but get it to boot and a lot of stuff was gone.Never had a prob on my old dell. Specs:pentium d 930,2gig kingston ddr2 667mhz, 2 nvidia 7800 gts,600 watt psu,1 80 gig hitachi deskstar 300 gb sat drive, ac 97 audio.nothing over clocked.Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Are we talking lap top here? Dell has some peculiariities all to itself...although I have found their tech department a lot more co-operative then Microsoft's. Have you called their hot line for help?

I'm an old hand at re-formatting the hard drive...like you, I've long overstayed my welcome on the old activation key... I'm old friend with the folk in India.

If you have nothing to lose, I'd totally fdisk the hard drive...rather than doing a simple reformat. That should clean out any ghosts that might remain to mess things up. On startup chose that option, and reinstall SP1 to the old, now clean, partition where Windows was before.

If you feel the need for SP2, then reinstall SP1 from the start, and nothing else. At some point, check the malware group to see why you need it or do not need it.

Before reinstalling SP2, install all drivers, updated drivers, and third party software. Also install any MS progs that do not need SP2's presence to find their self-worth...Defender works, Messenger works, IE works...but others don't.

Then reinstall SP2 if you think that you need to. I am personally not a proponent of SP2 and see no need for it...still don't. For me it has been the root of most of my problems, as I need 3rd party-ware.

SP2 seems to be the cap on the genie's bottle... :whistling: and seals everything in...

Edited by b1caez01, 06 September 2006 - 06:26 PM.

foot

foot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Actually the prob is on my new pc ,my desktop, just a few months old , and in that short time , I have reformatted more times thanin the previous 4 years. Monju (yes thats his name) and I will be trading family pics before long! It was fdisked a month after I got because it arrived with a problem I had to find , which turned out to be bad ram other than that it runs great.The only other prob is evidently a slow spin up time on the hd. After the windows xp logo and before the blue welcome screen my monitor goesblack for a wee bit to long to suit me. I have about reached the conclusion I don't need sp2 anyway.A few things require it like the latest wmp or ie7 but after I think about it I am pretty sure I can live without it. I am just wondering what will require it down the road.All I have read about vista makes me think I can probably do without it.Thanks for the help.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I ordered the MS disk for SP2...it's free, and handy to have just in case.

I am not a hardware person so I don't have a clue about spin speed. It may be a function of the readability speed of the disk. When hardware does not work, I run for updated drivers...that is as far as I can go. There are some other whizz-kids here that may help on that score. In fact, any score :whistling:

I'm not sure if I am allowed to recommend any software in this forum any more. I got a pleasant but pointed note :blink: from one of the head honchos to the effect that I had to stop suggesting things, but when a problem over laps, then I don't see the harm.

One's problems can get lost in the fora if good tracking is not used ...and while you have someone's attention, then you sometimes take the opportunity to help then and there.

So, where are we at, specifically, with the problems, can you list them in your next post. I am sorry that I am closing up for the evening. I give a couple of hours each day to the list...while fighting my own demons. Got a CD-ROM drive issue going on here :help:

Edited by b1caez01, 06 September 2006 - 09:37 PM.

foot

foot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I guess I will stick with plain xp , It runs fine without sp2 and I have fire walls , antivirus,andanti-spyware soI think I am protected enough without all those security updates. I could be wrong but the internet is like a big city,becareful where you go and use common sense and some good software and you probably be ok.Thanks for the help.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I totally agree with you...use common sense re: the places you visit, and the amount of armour you wear when you do visit...and the number one rule is not to open any attachments unless, and until, you have thoroughly checked them out with your anti-virus software, which has the latest updates.

Windows' defender seems to be making inroads. I run a few other bits and bobs, and they do not seem to have to work as hard, or as much, since Defender hit the scene. Now, that Windows has an anti-virus component, in beta-testing stage at present, I think, we'll see less of a need for too many of those components. Being paranoic, I like to run at least two of everything...except for firewalls...that's just asking for trouble.

Your four lines of defense are always...

Common sense.
Good maintenance.
Good armour.
Good user habits.