Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

very slow connection

• Please log in to reply

Mr G

Mr G

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Wonder if you can help chaps...it's the dreaded slow connection!!

I have windows xp/broadband/1mb/firefox... for over 3 years never had a problem (well not as bad as this)
Its just been the last week that pages are taking one [bleep] of a
long time to load compared to before..also sites I regulary go to ..I get time out, I have c cleaner and regularly clear my cache out..
I have checked some of your answers in other posts and tried winsock fix..but still didn't help !!
I have ran adware (clear) checked for spyware (seem to be clear) also have zone alarm (basic version) and avg both up to date windows update (also up to date) I have checked with Isp and there does not seem to be a prob in my area.
I have tried shutting down rebooting to no avail...
now here is the crunch about 3 weeks ago someone suggested I use a reg cleaner (all in one cleaner 2.0 trial version)to help clear out some unwanted reg files... I used it once 5 day trial (registry cleaner bit only)and did clear out approx 200 dead or unused files..I did make a back up but the program has finished and everything has gone...yes stupid or what, but hey its done now, although this was a few weeks back It just seems to be slowing down now, could that be the problem.
if you can shed any light that would be great thanx in advance for any help...

Cheers Mr G :whistling:

Advertisements

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Well... Restart your broadband modem, shutdown your PC, then unplug your broadband modem power cord, wait around 30 seconds. This will refresh your connection, always restart your modem monthly. If you don't your connection signal will weaken causing your internet to slow down. Obviously plug your broadband power cord back in, and turn back on your computer. If this doesn't fix your problem contact your ISP, they can better help you with this matter.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
You also may want to request that a Technician from your provider be sent out to check the connection on your end, I had the same problem and they installed a signal booster which corrected the problem.

Mr G

Mr G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
thanx
tried that and seems to be a bit better will contact Isp to see if they cann help

thanx