Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

So. New problem. >_>;

• Please log in to reply

Menos

Menos

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
... Please don't hurt me. NOT THE FA-

Well, funny talk aside, everytime I try to run an MMORPG called "Trickster" a large blue screen pops up and keeps me from going any further. Now I can't quite remember ALL of it. But it was something about updating my drivers. However, I checked for my video card and processer on Intel and it didn't find them.

It's really pretty confusing, especially since this is a new computer. The card and processer couldn't have become obsolete by now...

It also says to check for Hard drive space. But I have 88% left. If that isn't enough then.... well, you know. >_>

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See what Everest has for the video card

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Err, one question first.

I searched for updates yesterday, and I DID find one that was similar. I wondered if this was the one....

My current video card: Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express chipset family

The driver I found: Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express chipset family

As you can see, the names are very similar.... But I was wondering if this was the one or not.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That should do

The 82910 was probably made after yours but uses the same driver

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Ok, thanks.

What would happen if it WAS incorrect? Would a System restore fix the problem?

Or would I have to reformat?

Sorry I'm being so paranoid. >_>;

EDIT: Well, had a friend of mine help me with the problem, and I got it installed without a hitch. BUT it didn't help with the MMORPG.

Any more suggestions?

Edited by Menos, 07 September 2006 - 09:56 PM.

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Err, I just thought you may have missed the edits. Still need help though.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
The next time you see the blue screen, write down the STOP error and any parameters, which would be the file that caused it (if available) such as videogame.exe

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Well, didn't see any file, but the Stop Parameters were

***0x0000008E (0C0000005, oxF7A27D9D, 0xF7A27D9D,0xA91C8B2C,0x00000000)

I'm pretty sure I got all that right. Thanks for the speedy response from the waiting room, by the way.

Edit: Also, I figured I'd note that this error pops up everytime I try to boot up an MMORPG. Some work, but any that I've downloaded don't. I didn't know if you understood that or not. Just wanted to make sure.

Edited by Menos, 12 September 2006 - 09:18 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Jeez. Sorry for the delay Menos. I don't know how I lost track of this topic! :whistling: :blink:

I just researched the probelm (very quickly though), and the first thing I find is it could be a RAM issue. So...let's find out if that's it.

Download Stress Prime

After you download it, double-click on it (which opens the CAB that it is in) and drag the program to your desktop. Now you can run it. Click on the drop-down box at the top and select Large, in-place FFTs - stress RAM and click Start

If it detects a fatal error, it will stop automatically and then report it. Let me know if that happens.

Otherwise, stop the scan after about 30 minutes, and then in the window at the bottom, it will say if any errors/warnings were detected. Let me know what it says.

I will continue researching to see what else it could be. And please accept my sincere apology for losing track of your topic. :help:

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
No problem. I'll get back to you, I'll try it out in a bit.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, everytime I try to open a window (includes program files and the like) my computer seems to lag a bit. Could that be a result of too little RAM?

EDIT-2: Sorry, but it says I have 2 CPU's (I do) and says I should run 2 copy's at once. Is that just for CPU stressing or RAM too?

Sorry for all the questions.

EDIT-3: annnd one more. *cough*

It also says on the dropdown menu Large In place FFT's, Stress SOME RAM. I'm assuming this is fine.

I would take the chance, but I have the tendency to screw things up and send everything crashing to the ground in flames, so I like to make sure. >_>;

Edited by Menos, 18 September 2006 - 05:35 PM.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
When I check my mail, I get a copy of your response, as well as everyone else's responses. When I saw,

No problem. I'll get back to you, I'll try it out in a bit.

I though I'd wait for your next response. But something told me I should check out your thread anyway. And lo and behold, all kinds of edits. Wow, imagine what I would have missed! If you post something like that, where you say "I'll try that and get back", after you try it, do a fresh post. You're gonna make someone, like me, miss your results. :blink:

Now that I think about it, everytime I try to open a window (includes program files and the like) my computer seems to lag a bit. Could that be a result of too little RAM?

Yes, and no. We'll investigate that further in a bit.

Sorry, but it says I have 2 CPU's (I do) and says I should run 2 copy's at once. Is that just for CPU stressing or RAM too?

Just for CPU

It also says on the dropdown menu Large In place FFT's, Stress SOME RAM. I'm assuming this is fine.

That's fine. Run it.

I would take the chance, but I have the tendency to screw things up and send everything crashing to the ground in flames, so I like to make sure. >_>;

:whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 18 September 2006 - 07:27 PM.

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Didn't find any errors. And I thought you said it would LAST 30 mintes. Not to stop it at 30 minutes. *cough*

Sorry that took so long. >_>;

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
That's ok. So we've ruled out the system memory. Let's focus on the video card, since it only happens when you run "an MMORPG called 'Trickster'". I'm assuming that's a game, right?

Let's change some settings and see what happens:

Right-click anywhere in empty space on your desktop. Select Properties. Click on the Settings tab. At the bottom, click on Advanced. Click on the Troubleshoot tab.

Now uncheck the box that says Enable write combining. If you don't see this box, don't worry, we'll skip it. Click on Apply after UNchecking it. See if your problem still exists.

If your video problem still exists, go back to the window with your video settings. See the bar next to Hardware Acceleration? Slide that bar to the left by ONE notch. Click on Apply and see if your video problem is solved or not. If it is not, keep sliding the bar to the left by ONE notch and click Apply until your video problem is solved or the bar ends up all the way to the left.

When you find the setting that works, let me know the description under the Hardware Acceleration slider. If the problem still exists after moving the bar all the way to the left, we will have to dig deeper. If the problem is solved, there is a bit more to do. This is only a temporary solution.

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
There doesn't seem to be one on my video settings. There's one on my sound settings though.

Also, before we continue, should I check the "Enable write combining" box again?

Oh, and this happens whenever I try to boot up any downloaded, online game. Maybe with offline games as well, I haven't tried.
It's not just with Trickster.

Edited by Menos, 19 September 2006 - 11:53 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Yes, put a check back on "Enable write combining". Put any setting you changed back to default.

Now download and install This Driver for your video card.

If the computer complains and says you already have the latest, remove it (or rollback) and try again. This driver is for the Intel 82915G/GV/910GL graphics card you specified in your first post. It was updated on 7/31/2006, so it is very recent.

Let me know how it goes.