Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So. New problem. >_>;

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'm back. :blink:

lol, I see. What is the brand and model of your computer? I can find what video card you use for ya. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 25 September 2006 - 10:55 AM.

Advertisements

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Er, not sure whatcha mean by that, but I THINK I know.

Gateway 506GR

Is that it? I got it offa the "Information sticker" off of the tower. We never took it off for some reason.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yep that's it :whistling:

got it offa the "Information sticker" off of the tower. We never took it off for some reason.

Yep, that's where it should be. It's an excellent idea not to take it off. Comes in very handy when you have problems like right now, or in the future.

Try downloading and installing this driver

Let me know how it goes. :blink:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 September 2006 - 08:38 AM.

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Driver has been installed fine, but the game doesn't work.

Same old song. I'm really running out of comments to slap onto the end of my posts.

:whistling:
>_>

Anyway, could a fire-wall be stopping this progrom from... starting?

Because I recently installed a new one, after ZoneAlarm started blocking my homepage for unknown reasons.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
:blink: :whistling:

Which firewall?

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall

And I know this doesn't relate to this, but it seemed like a small matter to start another topic over.

My Ewido trial period ran out just now, and I wanna know if I'm ok with just this firewall.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Kerio?? :blink:

I just tried that one out not too long ago. I hated it. Gave me all kinds of problems. I bet...

Remove it, reboot, and try your games. I've got my fingers crossed for ya! :help:

I'll help you with Ewido after I see the results. I'm eager to see if it works. :whistling:

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Any firewalls you reccomend in general?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Personally I don't use a firewall. I use a behavioral analysis program. Less maintenace than a firewall, but still detects false-positives just like a firewall. I use CyberHawk (which you can find at Snapfiles.com)

Though, if you want maximum protection, you'd be better off with a true firewall, and the only other good one I can think of would be Sygate Personal Firewall

I gotta go somewhere. Be back in 25 minutes. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 September 2006 - 10:01 PM.

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Ok, I'll get that installed, and I'll get back to ya. :whistling:

Advertisements

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
VICTORY!

Thank you for all your help, and I would like to apologize for any puns you thought were particularly bad throughout this little session. :whistling:

Actually, I find it kind've funny that we were scrambling around trying to find the solution with system checks and such when the answer was right under our nose. I bet that happen's a lot though.

Edited by Menos, 26 September 2006 - 10:23 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
OMG!! VICTORY!!! :help:

WOOT!! :)

:rofl:

For a minute there my Shift key was stuck! hehehe :rofl:

Wow, now I hate Kerio even more. :whistling: Glad that's solved finally!

I would like to apologize for any puns you thought were particularly bad throughout this little session.

At this moment, I can't even remember a single pun, so I don't think you'll have to apologize! :rofl:

ahh...now that I've relieved myself...your Ewido thing: Once it expires(ed) the real-time protection will be lost, and I think auto-update is lost too. :rofl: That's not too big a deal, just means you'll have to remember to update and scan at least once a week. :D Or you can re-register and get that back. :blink: But that will cost a pretty penny.

:lol:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 September 2006 - 10:36 PM.

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Ok, thanks. I usually hit the update button every time I saw it anyway.

Now I'll actually be DOING something when I hit it. :whistling:

Again, thank ye. If all goes well, I won't be seeing this site for a good while.

Now to get re-addicted to online games. It's a vicious cycle.

EDIT: Actually, one tiny thing about the new firewall. Every now and again, it seems something called NDIS User mode I/O Driver pops up and says it's blocked. Is there any way to keep this from popping up every five minutes or so?

Or should I not have blocked it to begin with?

Edited by Menos, 26 September 2006 - 10:56 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Ok, thanks. I usually hit the update button every time I saw it anyway.

Now I'll actually be DOING something when I hit it.

:lol: yep :blink:

Again, thank ye.

My pleasure! It's always rewarding to see a successful ending. :)

I won't be seeing this site for a good while.

lol, that would mean you're not having problems, but we also have interesting or important tech news displayed on our home page. It's worth checking out once a week :rofl:

Now to get re-addicted to online games. It's a vicious cycle.

Play Halo or Star Wars? :rofl: If so, maybe we'll be addicted together :whistling:

EDIT: Actually, one tiny thing about the new firewall. Every now and again, it seems something called NDIS User mode I/O Driver pops up and says it's blocked. Is there any way to keep this from popping up every five minutes or so?

Or should I not have blocked it to begin with?

Yay, you get to stay a little longer. :D :rofl: This is what I found about that:

This is a system file that makes calls to dynamic link libraries amongst the TCP/IP stack. It uses communication ports and the loopback address in order to make these calls. This is why you see the communication on your firewall. It's not trying to connect to the Internet, just another port on your computer for the purpose of calling instructions.

In other words: It be a bit important. Shouldn't have blocked it :rofl: But we can fix that.

Considering it's 12:00 AM here, I think I'll wait till tomorrow to address this issue, especially since I don't have Sygate on my computer. It's on my dad's computer though, so I should be able to assist you successfully. :help:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 September 2006 - 11:08 PM.

Menos

Menos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I do know how to unblock it, so don't worry about that.

And to be honest, it's quite a few games. Maple Story... Flyff.... and... Trickster. Dunno if I'll be playing that last one though.

Thank you once more. And I will stop by to see the tech news and such I suppose. It's on my favorites for a reason (Other then a computer 911) I suppose. :whistling: