Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformat and win32fix.com message

• Please log in to reply

tigerash

tigerash

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I recently had to reformat my computer because it would not turn on. I suspect is was due to a backdoor and/or trojan virus. I know I should have tried something else first but I needed the computer immediately. Anyway, now I get a message a lot that says to fix a registry problem by going to www.win 32fix.com or regscans..com. I know these are invalid messages. Also, there are many components missing on my computer now (i.e sound). I'm guessing it didn't install the sound card automatically. I know this is a lot of content to fix but if someone could please help, that would be great. I have hijack this, but I'll wait for someone to ask for it before posting it.

Oh, another thing is that when I scroll on internet explorer, there's lag. I would like to fix that too...

Thanks.

Ed

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi tigerash!

Let's first deal with the annoying messages that keep appearing. I am figuring that the messages appear at random and not just when you are surfing the Internet. These messages come through the Messenger Service that comes installed on XP machines. We are going to disable it. Go to START-->RUN and type services.msc. The Services Window should appear. Scroll down the list until you come to the one labeled Messenger. Double-click this entry and it's properties window will appear. If the SERVICE STATUS says it is Started, then click the STOP button. Then from the pull-down list for STARTUP TYPE, select DISABLED. Now click APPLY and OK. Reboot your computer and post back in a day or so about whether or not these messages are now gone and we can either try different approaches to solving that issue or move on to the sound issue if no more annoying popup messages are appearing.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 06 September 2006 - 07:48 PM.

tigerash

tigerash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
That did it. I remember doing this once before now... Thanks for the help. Can you help me with another problem on my list? I just noticed today that when I choose to shut down, standby is not available to click. In other words I can't put my computer on standby. Well my list keeps growing. I'll await your respond. Thanks.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad that solved it. Before we move on to even more problems, let's work on your sound next. What is the make and model of your computer? An example of what I'm looking for is Dell Dimension 5100.

Fenor

tigerash

tigerash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Dell Inspiron 600m

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can download the audio drivers for your laptop from HERE.

Let's see what else might not be installed. After you have installed the sound drivers and rebooted your laptop, go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and hit ENTER. The Device Manager window will appear. List any items that have yellow exclamation/question marks next to them.

Fenor

tigerash

tigerash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
3 more.

1. Ethernet Controller
2. 02Micro SmartCardBus_Reader
3. Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please download install and run Everest Home Edition, which you can download using the link in my signature. Once you have it running, click on REPORT and the Report Wizard should run. When you come to the REPORT PROFILES page of the wizard, make sure you have radio button next to System Summary Only selected. Then click NEXT, you can leave HTML selected and click FINISH. The report will then be generated and a new window will appear. In this new window that appears, click SAVE TO FILE and save the report as REPORT.HTM somewhere on your computer where you will remember its location. Please ATTACH this file to your reply. DO NOT POST IT!

Fenor

tigerash

tigerash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Here it is.

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Video
Network Adapter

Looking up info for the 02Micro SmartCardBus_Reader.

Sorry for being so short in this response, but I busted up my finger pretty good and typing alot hurts. Just wanted to let you know so you didn't think i was being rude with my short replies.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 09 September 2006 - 07:26 PM.

tigerash

tigerash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hey, no problem. everything is working pretty well now. however, I can't seem to be able to put the volume control on the right hand side of the task bar, where the time is... If you can help me do that, it would be great but it's not absolutely necessary. Thanks a whole lot for your help. I recommend this site on a regular basis.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to control panel ..open sounds and audio ...put tick in box where it says place icon in task bar tray