Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

New speaker setup

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just bought a cyber acoustics 5.1 audio system. I hooked it all up, and worked pretty well except the center speaker won't work...I have tried many different setups, using the orange plug, not using the orange plug, same with the black...settings in my audio control are up, including the center one (using Nvidia). I used the set up wizard, and going through 4 speakers it sends white noise, but on the center speaker its more like a buzz or hum, its definately getting a signal of somesort in the wizard, cause its a different sound then when its idle for hte rest of the test, but it doesn't work with any other music or audio or anything. all other 4 speakers work, i can control them, fade them so only one is on and all that fine.
Any tips/advice much appreciated.
As far as i know, my sounds care is nforce APU soundstorm driver version 4.42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have some new info on this problem here too, although it is far from fixed. I know the center speaker DOES work. I hooked it up to my cd player and using just the green cable i have gotten music out of the center speaker normally.
And also, if i use only the green and black plug (no orange), the center speaker will work but doesn't have its own control for volume as it should. Its volume gets adjusted with the front left and right speaker.
My sound card is a realtek ALC 650, and codec capabilities are AC97 6 channel
I have included a screenshot of my audio software whlie playing music.
Thanks again

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hey Graig,

I've had this problem myself so I thought I'd share as embarrassing at it is.

I've 5.1 speakers and had some problems with sound.
Like yourself I double checked and treble check the jacks were plugged in right.
All good!

I then started looking at the drivers, applications - you name it I inspected it!
Well, all except one thing!

Sound and Audio Devices -> (Under Speaker Setting) Advanced and then selected the correct speaker setup! I can't remember what it was set to but it WASN'T 5.1! I changed it and everything sounded better.

BUT a little while later I didn't appear to be getting sound from my rear speakers!
So I checked the Advanced settings (above) they were fine and check Device Manager!
I got so worked up I grabbed my torch and sound card "quick install" guide and crawled under my Desk!

Well would you believe I hadn't plugged the jacks in properly?!?
After all that checking too, I did feel VERY silly.

Learn't a valuable lesson though, ALWAYS refer to the documentation not what I think is right!

Anyway I hope that helps you!

- Pseudopath.

Edited by Pseudopath, 09 September 2006 - 11:12 AM.