Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking To Purchase Another Hard-drive

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Looking for like 40gb harddisk. But im not sure if my motherboard/cpu is able to support that. Any way i can check it out?

Currently i've 2 20gb drivers in my slots already.

Also, how do i know which model suits my motherboard best?

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i guess you can get the 40GB hard drive for your motherboard. I recommend getting a hard drive by Western Digital or Seagate.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
More than anything it depends on your OS. Most hard drives are backward comptible with ATA 33 and ATA 66. Win9x needs special drivers or patches to read beyond 132GB. I also like Western Digital and Seagate and have found some real nice buys on 80gig WDs (less than $40US for new pulls)

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
less than $40US for new pulls? Sounds like an incredible deal.

Can everest green (program) help determine which hard-disk fits better into my motherboard? Using win xp 2 btw.

Any other factors i need to take note? (im assuming i can have 3 hard-disk in my motherboard, lmk if that is not always the case)

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Since you have XP you should be able to use any size you would like. Bang for the buck 250gig at a little over $.25 per thousand MB ain't bad for OEM WD with a 2MB cache. I would get a good size drive partiton it and clone the OS to the first partition. Then slave the second drive to the new drive and use the old drive for a backup, and enjoy the extra room for your data. Check the link in my sig for good tools.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
great ty!

Is there any guide where i can do a quick clone of my os instead of copying every single file one by one?

Just wondering, what are the more important factor i should look into apart from whats listed below?

Buffer Size (what does buffer size do btw?)
Rotational Speed

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Another point.

If i want to buy a high end hard disk will my current motherboard be able to handle it?

Im thinking of using my current cpu for 2 years till my army days are over, then buy an excellent build and bring my hard-disk over. Do i need to take note of anything on that note?