Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

choosing external HD

• Please log in to reply

majax79

majax79

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a 250GB external hard drive. It must have firewire. Based on my request, I know of about 19 recent models to choose from. I searched on pricegrabber.com and circuitcity.com The reviews are mixed for almost every HD so I don't know which to pick. I'd like to have a quiet model and possibly one that has a cooling fan (cooling fan not necessary). I've never owned an external HD so I'm not familiar with the brands. Although, I did like the look of the western digital my book premium edition. Style is always a bonus.

Edited by majax79, 07 September 2006 - 02:30 AM.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
go to www.newegg.com and have a look there they have heaps of products,

just get a hradrive that has firewire and a larger cache size for better performace but this isnt a huge fatcor being an external hard drive because you already limitted in the trasfer speeds of a external hard drive

i would suggest just buying an internal hard drive because they are heaps better and cheaper what are you using the external drive for anyway???

if its for back-ups then thats fine but if its for everyday use then there is no point and you would be better to get a internal hard drive

troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The best way is to buy a kit with the external mounting and connectors preferbly one that has its own powersupply, you then buy the HDD seperatley. If you do it this way you get better choice in HDD size and its usually a little cheaper as well.

Also troppo is correct only get an external if you actually really need one if its not going to move and sit on your desk as a permanent hard drive get an internal.