Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Problem, cd-rom not recognized

• Please log in to reply

karen58

karen58

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Now after compressing my files yesterday, my cd-rom is not recognized by my system & I can find nothing pertaining to it & my dvd-drive is recognized, but does not work. I can uninstall my dvd drive & reinstall it, but I don't know where to start on my cd-rom. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Karen :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Good day Keith, I downloaded & ran the fix it program; still the cd drive is not listed and it said the wizard found problems but was not able to fix them. There is power to both drives, so that is not the problem. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Karen.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and apply this

http://www.geekstogo...a...ails&f_id=8

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi again,
That didn't work either. I just finished putting my computer back together, I unplugged the drive, booted up, no drive, shut'er down again, plugged it back in & once again, it installed itself and now I can burn that cd that I started out to do in the first place. Thanks again for all of your help. :whistling: Karen

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

You could use device manager to uninstall a ROM drive and reboot

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi, The device manager was not detecting the cd rom, that was why I tried to physically disconnect it. It worked! Thanks again for helping in this time of need, my mom passed away & I am frantically trying to get a slideshow made, that is why I am not thinking so clearly. Thank you, thank you. Karen.