Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No more background

• Please log in to reply

SoulJa86

SoulJa86

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I recently had to reformat my computer after a stupid idea of wanting to use vista on my "moderate" computer. Anyways after reinstall and sp2 install and most of my drivers, I went online to get the programs I was missing, and during my searches Before I installed my virus protection I managed to catch a malware or adware or trojan of some form. It turned out to take a couple weeks to get rid of, but the problem lies in the fact that I have had a black background for about 3 weeks now, and literaly hadn't noticed, but when I go to change my background, my choices are shaded, and I cant access anything to set as a background. I was wondering if anyone had delt with this before, or more importantly fixed this problem. Thank you for any and all help

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi SoulJa86...

Another thing we should look at is just what is set to be displayed as the desktop...sometimes infections will change this setting for you.

Right click on the Desktop and choose "Properties". Under the "Desktop" tab, click on the "Customize Desktop" button. Under the "Web" tab, what is listed in the "Web Pages:" box?

wannabe1