Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows not responding after quitting game

• Please log in to reply

17osm17

17osm17

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hie
Whenever i quit my online game, windows doesn't respond anymore. I can't click on start, can't open any program. However my mouse is able to move. I couldn't shut down windows hence i have to use the power button. After the restart, i don't receive any error message for not shutting down windows properly.

I'm using a Toshiba Laptop running on Windows XP.

Perhaps this info might be of help.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name TOSHIBA-FA8C99F
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model Satellite L20
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1729 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA V1.30, 12/14/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.34
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2562 (xpsp.040919-1030)"
User Name TOSHIBA-FA8C99F\
Time Zone Malay Peninsula Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 138.55 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.20 GB

Please help. Thanks!

Advertisements

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi there.
Could you please say what game it is, and when you have exited can you bring up the task manager by press Ctrl+Alt+Delete?

17osm17

17osm17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello.

My games are Pristontale and Gunbound.

I can open the task manager using ctrl alt del, but couldnt click on any of the options. And that's just it. It is like the whole windows stays frozen, unable to click or open anything else. However my mouse pointer is able to move ard.

The HDD activity light doesnt blink anymore. Hence everytime i have to shut down directly through the power button.

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
................ Crap, that sounds a bit of a pain, do you have Anti Virus, and have you tryed system restore?

17osm17

17osm17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
yeah crappy indeed. Wierdest problem is, when i click restart comp, it shuts down...

I decided to reformat my comp, the ultimate problem solver method!~ Too much problem to apprehand.

Btw, what do u guys think of Norman Virus Control (sounds like a pirated Norton Antivirus). I'm using it now as it comes free with the comp. Any recommendations for good + free antivirus prog on the net?

Appreciate it.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Personly i use Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 however you have to buy it (Unless you use pirated software............) but the best free one we use for clients at work is AVG free edition.
Hope it all works for you!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I personally hate AVG, but that's my opinion.

I'd go with Avast!

It is free, and very good! Snapfiles.com gives it 5 stars across the board :whistling:

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I have used Avast and found it ok i said AVG mainly because the people i work with and my boss use AVG and they are all very computer literate. However i would not use it as i just had the interface. Then again Kaspersky is a bit of a cow to get to gripes with but great once you get it going.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Kaspersky is the best of the best in my book. Though, with AVG, I've had plenty of issues with it missing infections or even having trouble with removing ones that it could find. Though, this was about 2 years ago. :blink: :help:

So, it's probably changed since then, and I might have to give it another try. But I know for a fact it does not have nearly as many "shields" as Avast does. And I think Avast's interface is much much more simple. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 08 September 2006 - 12:55 PM.

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Yeah AVG is well a pain when it comes to getting somthing done. The problem with Kaspersky is that the is just sooooo much you can use it for and it can really make you system a tank with no exit/way in can be annoying when trying to actually use your internet connection although maybe not as many stupit alerts as Norton Internet Unsecurity :whistling: