Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing Old link in the Nav. Bar

• Please log in to reply

learningcomprepair

learningcomprepair

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm trying to get rid of some old link on Internet Explorer. When I type in "www" it will pop up "www3.fetishhits.com/movie/pts/?t1/ppd+fhl0478 I have delete cookie and temp. files, run ewido, ad-aware and norton. I don't know what to do next.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

You can remove ALL old "links" by going to Tools --> Options --> Content tab --> click on Auto Complete --> click on Clear Forms

If you just want to remove that single entry, we will have to modify the registry. Let me know if that is what you want to do.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 07 September 2006 - 11:14 AM.

learningcomprepair

learningcomprepair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thank you, I tried want you said but it is still there. I did trun off auto complete so it doesn't pop up but I think that my friend will turn it back on and we'll be in the same spot. What would be the next step/

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Before we remove it from the registry, let's make sure nothing is going on behind our backs.

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

learningcomprepair

learningcomprepair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Will do!! But what if I want you guys to come over and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. By the way thanks for all of this. Next post will have the file attched

learningcomprepair

learningcomprepair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Attached File  hijackthis.txt   6.96KB   215 downloads Here it is thank you for your help!!! :blink: :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I don't see anything unusual, other than you are running SP1 of Windows XP. If you don't have a specific reason for not upgrading to SP2, I highly recommend that you do so by doing a Windows Update. Let me know if you don't know how to perform a Windows Update.

Now as for getting rid of that entry, we have to modify the registry.

The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modfying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot preform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
Registry Modifications
Go to Start --> Run and type regedit

Press enter and then the registry editor will open. If you see more than 5 folders in the left window, you may need to click on some "-" signs to collapse the sub-folder trees. Once you see the 5 main folders, such as in the picture below, then we'll begin.

Posted Image

Now use the folders in the left window to navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER --> Software --> Microsoft --> Internet Explorer --> TypedURLs

Now in the window to the right, scroll around until you find that website's entry. When you find it, double-click on it and change the value to something you would rather it be, such as http://www.google.com. Once you change it, click on OK and then exit out of the Registry Editor.

Let me know if you are successful.

learningcomprepair

learningcomprepair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I follow your steps to the letter but it is still there. When I run regedit and got to where the steps take me this is what I see this: Posted Image <br><br>
What should be my next or is there a next step? Thank you btw if I do a history search for www3 it brings up project teen sex with that url I don't know if that helps any

Edited by learningcopmrepair, 08 September 2006 - 10:52 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
that www fetishhits sounds [bleep] do you know where that came from<<< it just seems that you do have a virus of some sort
you got urlsearch hook with no file bho with no file

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That's weird

Open the Registry Editor and scroll to the very top. Click on My Computer to highlight it. Now press CTRL + F

In the search bar, type (or copy and paste) www3.fetishhits.com/movie/pts/?t1/

Have it do a search for it. When it finds it, if it finds it, take a screenshot of it and post that. That way I can see where it is at, and what the best course of action would be.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
no, no virus that i can see. But you are right about the URL Searchhook missing. That could be the culprit. :whistling:

Before we go and start fixing things in HJT, lemme get in touch with a malware expert so he can properly fix it.

learningcomprepair

learningcomprepair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm working on a friend's pc so I don't know where it came from. I have tried 3 differnt spyware/ virus programs(Ewido, Norton, and Ad-aware) follow the step give to me I believe to the letter. Is there a better spyware program to run? Or should I just tell my buddy to stop going to those site because he go blind? Thing is though is that he's got two girls 8 and 10 that he doesn't want ask " Daddy? What's fetish? or Daddy? what's assripped mean?" :) :whistling: :blink: :help:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well your you should tell him about those sites that they can seriously comprimise his computer and visiting those sites can very addictive like a drug .but to each his own

the malware expert will determine how clean the computer is

computerwiz will make sure it will be fixed

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yeah...the best thing would be not to go to the sites anymore. Those kind of sites are the #1 way to get infected. Because they are so popular, more and more hackers put up fake sites like that to get people infected.

There are certain things that no scanner will ever catch, but HJT can. So I'm waiting for a response from a Malware Expert about his HJT log. Since there is a bad entry.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 08 September 2006 - 10:57 AM.

learningcomprepair

learningcomprepair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Posted Image

:blink: :help: :whistling:

It couldn't find it as the whole link so I just typed www3 amd this is what i got thanks for you help