Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand new computer - what protection?

• Please log in to reply

Daisyfresh

Daisyfresh

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hiya,
I'm sorry to ask such a 101 question, but I received such great help here getting rid of spyware on my desktop pc....

I've just bought a new laptop and I'm completely in the dark about what anti-virus, firewall, etc., etc. I should install on in. I'm too paranoid to use it on the 'net until I know! It comes with Norton (but Ive heard ba-a-a-d things) and the usual Windows security but what else should I use? It's a Sony Vaio running on Windows XP.

As I said, I've had some great help from here in the past, and have used e-widow, spyware-blaster, spybot with success.

Thanks in advance,
Daidyfresh

Advertisements

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I am a big advocate of free software. I would suggest dropping the Norton and going with free security utilities.

Firewall...Zonealarm Free

Antivirus..AVG Free

Anti spyware..Spybot S&D, Windows defender, Spyware blaster, Spyware guard all free and used in conjunction with one another.

Anti Adware... AdAware SE Free

Thats the basic setup I have installed on my desktop. another good piece of softwrae if you download a lot of programs and such is the EULAnylizer by Javacool (same people who make spyware guard and blaster) It analyzes the EULA of all software loking for key words and phrases indicating the use of malware with that software.

On the flip side, I just bought a new laptop that came with Trend Micro PC-Cillin and I absolutely adore that software. So if you want to spend some more money I would suggest that. I am paranoid though, I still have spybot, adaware, sg & sb, as well as windows defender and a few others I cant think of off the top of my head. Anyways good luck with whatever you decide. :whistling:

Edited by phybyr0ptyk, 07 September 2006 - 05:03 PM.

Daisyfresh

Daisyfresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
That's great advice - thank you. :whistling: I don't mind spending some more money to protect the computer, and I'd heard good things about pC-cillin too. I'll do as you suggest and combine it with the free stuff as well.
Thanks again
Dasyfresh

DKasler

DKasler

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Firewall: The built in windows firewall is sufficient for most users.
Ad/Spyware: Use a combo of AdAware SE and Spybot - Search and Dystroy as well as Windows Defender. (I also use E-trust pestpartol ontop of that but its not free).
Antivirus: FREE - Use Avast Home Ed. (It works better than AVG in most tests) or if you're going to pay Try NOD.

PS. Both NOD and Avast support 64bit windows (If that applies to you).

Daisyfresh

Daisyfresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Dkasler, much appreciated!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I would not want to use the Windows built in firewall as my only firewall, because it doesn't allow the same configurations and access to logs that most third party firewalls do. Just my two cents.
Johanna