Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AIM connection problems...

• Please log in to reply

Blackjack925

Blackjack925

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ive just recently started to have strange problems with my AOL instant messenger. I belive it actually started about 200pm today...but that is irrelevant. From what i can tell, my AIM only dosent work when im connected to a wireless interenet connection. ATM i am wired in and the aim service works fine. Strange as it may be i am fully connected to the internet when im wireless (i.e. am able to access network drives, web pages, downloads etc.) however AIM simply hangs at step 1. connecting and then produces the server cannot be reached error. BTW im using aim version 5.9, not triton. Ive asked some of my fellow classmates (as i am on a college network) and they havent been having any problems at all. I am reluctant to go to the computer service center at school and want to know if anyone out tere has any suggestions or ideas as to what it could be. I do feel kinda stupid especially since i am a Comp Enginnering major over here. Help? :whistling:

p.s. ive also tried restarting, virus scans, spyware scans, reinstalling aim, restarting the connection and it still dosent want to connect unless im hardwired in, no matter what wireless network i try to access.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
How strange. Does AOL's support have anything to say about this? I'm sure they have a knowledgebase for AIM?

Blackjack925

Blackjack925

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
AOL as far as i can see has no support system beyond reporting bugs, which gives me no direct responses

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see. When did this all start?

Blackjack925

Blackjack925

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It all started after i installed a the most recent patch for battlefield 2, althought i highly doubt this was the cause as i uninstalled the program and it stil happened. Also i tried AIM Triton and it has the same problem. A system restore seemed to fix the problem...but caused so many more that i was forced to restore it.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
AIM Triton will have this problem and AOL is aware of it and are working on a fix. Most others that have this problem with Triton are having to go back a version or two (in their cases).

A way to double check if it is an AOL problem or if it is your problem for sure is to do this...

go to www.meebo.com (using your browser),

login to your AIM just like usual, if it won't connect then the problem is on AIM.

This is just a good site to help determine if a specific messenger software has a problem on the local end.

Blackjack925

Blackjack925

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks alot its better now...musta been trouble with aim.

Blackjack925

Blackjack925

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok...nvm...i was just home and it was working fine, i got back to school and it worked...i installed battlefield 2, no problem, put on the 1.4 patch, bam same problem. I tried the link supplied and i was able to connect. Now i prefer to use version 5.9 of aim...cause i hate triton but neither version works...its the exact same problem.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So somehow this is linked to the BF2 patch... That's bazaar... I wonder if AIM knows about this yet... Do you send those error reports?

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
I have to admit, that's a new one on me. I haven't seen or heard anything about that. I'll be curious how they'll respond to this one.

Blackjack925

Blackjack925

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well...the strange part is, the link given above works, GAIM works, Trillian works, so its not an aim server issue as far as i can see, but it seems to be a glitch within the clients themselves (aim 5.9, Triton) ive contacted EA but havent gotten any responses. Im reluctant to contact aim because i wont get a concrete response to them, unless someone can give me a tech support email.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
A tech support email is aimsupport@aol.com

Blackjack925

Blackjack925

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok...update. EA (as expected) told me to contact AOL. I just sent an email to the above address and am waiting for a reply. Ive just retried all the clients and my results follow. AIM 5.9, AIM Triton, and AIM Express still all hang at the connection phase and do not work. GAIM, Trillion, and www.meebo.com all work with no problem. Now (the plot thickens) i try AIM Pro, and it works no questions asked. I may just try to uninstall BF2 or mabye do another system restore but i am reluctant.

Blackjack925

Blackjack925

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok interesting break in the story, i may have found what was wrong...apon uninstalling the program and looking at what was left over, i found a dscvr71.dll file left over, once i delete this and reinstall the program runs fine...once...then it stops working.