Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Restarts without warning!

• Please log in to reply

JonesZ08

JonesZ08

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My computer is just... well dumb. Out of no where it will reboot on me and really makes me mad, sometimes it doesn't even get to the Windows XP loading screen, making it restart every 3 seconds... anyone??

Edited by JonesZ08, 07 September 2006 - 07:48 PM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Generally random shutdowns are the powersuply in my experience.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Off the wall:

?1. Shutdown switch command corrupted, so that it is going through the cycle but hanging in the back ground...you should hear the hard drives stop spinning and the fan shut off...complete silence.

?2. Shutoff button on front of computer has a physical short in it? ...?replace the button?

?3. A bios setting needs re-adjustment

?4. A software conflict where the shut down and the start up commands are sharing something...just as soon as the shut down starts, the start up gets ready to start ...there for both shut-down and startup files are corrupted

?5. Registry screw up.

?6. Evil spirits :whistling:

Have you done the usual sfc /scannow routine? Defragged?

Did this start after using a regcleaner program?

Have you attempted to reinstall XP, just its own self, not deleting the rest of the files already there...this will completely rewrite the appropriate portoins of the registry.

Did malware folks tell you anything...does not sound like that sort of a problem but what do I know :blink:

How about setting the time in the BIOS between shutdown and startup, I believe there is a tweak setting to shorten or lengthen the time between shutdown and reboot, mine is set at about 20 seconds. Win98SE was quite helpful with its control over this function as I recall, or was it a dream.

JonesZ08

JonesZ08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, I worked my way down to with nothing really plugged in (Hard Drive, CD Drives) that it will even restart. Sometimes it takes awhile sometimes it happens rapidly... PSU Is probably it but I don't want to spend more money till im sure :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Forgot to ask at the start...when you say it just re-boots out of nowhere...do you mean that while you are motoring along on something, it just reboots out of the blue? I'd bet the farm on that being something that the malware/virus boys should deal with.

Windows will reboot like that when it is commanded to do so by some operation run amok, by malware, trojans, so refer this to the malware gang.

Before we end up spinning our wheels here...check your research engine, e.g. google...for "phantom reboot" there is a ton of stuff on it...maybe your particular problem can be dealt with there :whistling:

JonesZ08

JonesZ08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I took apart the PSU the other day and everything looked to be OK, the computer restarts without the RAM so that is probably eliminated. I've had stuff spill down the back of it but that was like a month ago and didn't do it until recently... im getting very frustrated :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Here is a report by another more qualified techie in another forum on this URL, herein may rest an answer... I had suggested a reformat...his response was a good one...

"That is a last resort, and for some people, the ones that are not that computer literate, that can be a nightmare as they lose everything except for what they backup. Unfortunately, there will always be something they forget, and sometimes something important, and it is lost forever. So we save that as last.

Some things for you to do to gather information for me:

Check Dirty Bit : Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type fsutil dirty query c: (This queries the drive and will tell you if it is dirty or clean)

Let me know what it reports.

Install and run Tune Up: Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

Use SFC /scannow to see if something's corrupt
Go to Start, Run, type sfc.exe /purgecache and press enter. When it is done purging the cache, type sfc.exe /scannow and press enter. If it asks you for your XP CD, insert it and then continue. Please let me know if it asks you for your CD.

Please report back and let me know how it goes."

I hope it helps...

JonesZ08

JonesZ08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I mean now it is to the point where within the first 5 seconds it will reboot without even getting through the memory check at the beginning before booting XP, ordered a new PSU and if that isn't the problem, its only $40.00 wasted, Ill post back once I get it :whistling:

P.S - It reboots without RAM.

Edited by JonesZ08, 12 September 2006 - 06:43 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Well, good luck... It sure sounds like malware though...did you check with those folks? Do the anti-stuff-ware cleanup? No changes?

While it is in the shop, ask them to give it a good cleaning...if they are going to install the thingamajig :blink: Power supply unit...yeah that's the ticket. BE CAREFUL if you are a DIY sort of fellow...you can electrocute yourself, or at least give yourself a good perm. This is something left to the techie at the shop, while you stand over him, or at least a safe distance away from him.

DIY ...read the manual well, ground both the unit and yourself well, drain the PSU before you touch it by unplugging it and then turning the switch to "on" [so I have read-do your own research to be sure]...etc.. wear rubber gloves, make out your will, warn the fire department, send the family to your mother-in-laws... :help:

Enjoy :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 12 September 2006 - 07:24 PM.

Shady

Shady

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
i have the same problem as the guy who started the thread. the computer im working on for a friend does a constant loop of restarts. i can get as far as the desktop, then about 5 seconds later.... RESTART. i never gave it a thought about it being the power supply. i'm going to format the drive and do a fresh install anyway, so i'll find out if (possibly) it was a software conflict or not. at least somebody responded to this post. im still waiting for a reply on 2 of mine from over a week ago :whistling:

Cerberus_e

Cerberus_e

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I found reboots 5 seconds after the desktop appears are caused by bprograms that start together with Windows. Try going in the registry to the various "run" folders and delete all keys there you don't need to start together with Windows. Helped for me a while ago with a bad CD burning program.

Edited by Cerberus_e, 13 September 2006 - 06:01 AM.

JonesZ08

JonesZ08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Found the cause of the problem, it was in fact the PSU, guess it isn't a fan of Dr. Pepper :whistling: