Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Computer to New Case.... will it work?

• Please log in to reply

irish2284

irish2284

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello I am hoping you can help me with some compatability issues.

I have a HP Pavilion a230n PC. I have done some upgrades to it, vid card, new hard drive, ram, power supply, etc.

I am wanting to upgrade my case to the following for better cooling, etc.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129017

Currently my Mother Board is the following:
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X-LA Rev 1.xx
Serial Number: X312345678
Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 3.07 04/21/2003

I have a standard power supply, 2 5.25" CD Rom drives, 1 3.5" Floppy Drive, 2 front USB, 4 rear USB, 2 HD's, etc.

I am wondering if that case will work with my current motherboard. If you could please help me out it would be much appreciated. I would imagine you could put a smaller mother board in a bigger case, but I do not know and am wanting to ask people who would.

Thanks-
Josh

Edited by irish2284, 08 September 2006 - 04:03 AM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Your mainboard is ATX format and will fit any ATX case as should the PSU and drives. In the days when it was hard to get the micro ATX PSU's I often bought the case with PSU and swapped over. It was cheaper and the larger case often allowed the system to run cooler.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, this can be done. The only problem i can foresee is the cdrom drives. H-P puts a special custom front facia on the drives that may not fit with the antec case. In the case they don't fit another $50 to buy a dvd-rw and dvd-rom off newegg would fix the problem. Selling the old drives on ebay can get some of the money back. The floppy drive will also probably not work so a $8 floppy drive will have to be ordered( i do not install floppy drives anymore in computers i build).

SRX660