Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My sons laptop will not start

• Please log in to reply

bonniebee

bonniebee

• Pip
  • 6 posts
He just could not start it one day. It has Windows XP Professional. I don't know much else. It will start up in Windows, the cursor will move but you cannot go into start. Just before start up it says something about checking FAT32 for consistency and then it will go through to Windows. My son is 26 but is dyslexic so does not read error messages. Anyway as I said I went through to safe mode and it will get into Windows unfortunately he does not know his Administrator password so I went into his user name and tried to do system restore but I knew it would not do it in user only administrator. Am I stuffed. Please understand I am a complete novice at this Forum stuff. I love playing with computers but I am a complete beginner but willing to give it a go.

Advertisements

bonniebee

bonniebee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
How do I know if you are going to answer this?

bonniebee

bonniebee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
SRX660 Can you just answer so I know what to do. This is completely new to me.

bonniebee

bonniebee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey I mean just answer Hello so I know where your answer goes if you know what I mean.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can read this on resetting the password.

http://pubs.logicale...icle.asp?ID=305

and then theres this.

http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/1511

SRX660

bonniebee

bonniebee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I thank you for that I and I will try it but I cannot get into anything on my son's machine. I am using mine to write to you.

bonniebee

bonniebee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Also we have what is called a Recovery CD Rom not a Windows XP Disk is that the same?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, you should be able to use the recovery CD to reinstall XP over itself. You will lose all data and programs you have installed on the computer after you bought it, with the recovery CD. When you need to put in a password for the administrator, just leave it blank and hit enter. You really don't need a password unless more than one persons use the computer and you want your setting and files kept private. Even then you can have each user with their own password.

SRX660