Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file."

• Please log in to reply

spacefroid

spacefroid

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi,
Whenever I boot up my pc, then try to access any programs (.exe's basically), I get an error message that states:
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have
the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I am the administrator for this computer, so I should have all the right permissions. Usually after I manually reboot the system I can access programs again. I believe the problem started occurring after I installed an updated version of Roxio Easy CD Creator software, but since then I've uninstalled it and am currently using the older version I had.
I'd appreciate any help offered.
Thanks!

Spacefroid

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
start all programs...accesseries..system tools ...system restore

pick a restore point before you installed Roxio Easy CD Creator software

spacefroid

spacefroid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I actually tried to do a system restore before that date, but the System Restore Wizard doesn't allow me to go back to a checkpoint before then, oddly enough.

Any other suggestions?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
its possible your problem could be link to your firewall maybe you could check settings or configuration

spacefroid

spacefroid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I really doubt that's the problem, since I've been using Zonealarm for a long time. I checked the settings anyway, and there doesn't seem to be anything amiss..

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
just thought id mention that cause it came up a few times ill look for other options

spacefroid

spacefroid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Anyone else have any ideas? :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Very intriguing problem. Let's see what's up.

Right-click on an .exe (preferably not a shortcut, which will have a small arrow in the bottom-left corner of the icon) and select properties. On the General tab, write down the Location of that program (make sure it is one that is giving you trouble) and post that info.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 15 September 2006 - 08:36 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
After reviewing the first post, I see that you have a permissions problem, not a "I can't find the file" problem.

See if This website helps you.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 15 September 2006 - 09:06 AM.

spacefroid

spacefroid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi,
Sorry for taking so long to reply; the problem is rather sporadic. Anyway, I tried what the website suggested both during the problem and when I didn't have it. When I don't have the problem, there's no "Unblock" button to click on.
When the message does appear when I try to open any program, right clicking and opening properties produces no response. Even trying to open things like "My Computer" or "My Documents" to access the source file's location (instead of right clicking on a shortcut) has no response. Nothing happens when I click on these things. :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

spacefroid

spacefroid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here is the HIjackthis log file you wanted..

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hey spacefroid. Sorry for the delay in my response. Been a bit busy lately :whistling:

I don't see anything unusual in the HJT log. Try this (even though it says it's for XP pro):

Disabling this feature - **Disables part of SP2's attachment manager feature**

To prevent Windows from storing the zone identifier.

for XP Pro:

Click Start, Run and type GPEDIT.MSC
Navigate to:
User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Attachment Manager

Double-click "Do not preserve zone information in file attachments"
Set it to "Enabled"

More information about this setting:

This policy setting allows you to manage whether Windows marks file attachments with information about their zone of origin (i.e. restricted, Internet, intranet, local). This requires NTFS in order to function correctly, and will fail without notice on FAT32. By not preserving the zone information Windows cannot make proper risk assessments.

If you enable this policy setting Windows does not mark file attachments with their zone information.

If you disable this policy setting Windows marks file attachments with their zone information.

If you do not configure this policy setting Windows marks file attachments with their zone information.

So, once that stuff is disabled, see if your problem still exists. If it does, please describe to me exactly what you were doing at the time of the problem, as well as any messages you are currently receiving. I know you've stated it before, but I'd like to make sure the problem didn't change any, plus a good mental refresher would be useful as it's been a while since we talked. :blink:

spacefroid

spacefroid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi!
Thank you so much for your help! :whistling:
I'll try what you suggested, but the problem hasn't happened in a while. So hopefully it'll stay that way.. *fingers crossed*