Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Desktop Flashing

• Please log in to reply

Primasapere

Primasapere

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Recently, I was using my computer for various things, not really doing one thing or another specifically, and all of the sudden, the taskbar and all of my desktop icons disappeared, leaving my desktop background alone, and then everything came back. It was like if my computer had been sleeping, and I woke it up and first saw just a blank background, then everything flicked back into place.

Now, what's bothersome is when this happened, it happened over and over, about ever 30 seconds, until I turned my computer off.

It doesn't close any of the programs I have running, it just makes everything disappear briefly, then puts it back, but I'd like to know what's going on.

I opened my task manager today and spent a good long while searching up all of the names of the running processes, to see what the general opinion of them is, and closed the ones that people didn't seem to trust. Right now, my computer's running well, but this flickering problem happened as recently as last night, and anything messing with my computer bothers me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Could be corruption, could be infection.

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

Primasapere

Primasapere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The flashing hasn't happened again since I mentioned it here, at least not so far.

I ran HijackThis and attached the log.

Attached Files

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hello there Primasapere

Your infected with Vundo
Please follow the steps in this Topic

Then go Here

Post a fresh HJT log copy and paste it please don't attach it there also post the vundofix.txt, Someone will pop by and make sure your cleaned up