Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how do i clean out my computer?

• Please log in to reply

shishomiru04

shishomiru04

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
okedoke, when i first got my dell dimension 2400 i was like, whee! a new computer!- now i can surf the net!!!...little did i know that having a computer was more complicated than that, i was a noob...and being as such i may have done things or downloaded things that i didn't need or whatever, may have deleted program files thinking it would get rid of a game or program properly but it didn't becuase it still shows up in my "add or remove programs menu"...mind you i have windows xp, anywho getting to the point...i would like to safely transfer programs and games that are already installed that i want to keep out of my computer temporarily so i can do either a system resotre back to the very first day that i installed xp OR if you guys know of a program or something that will virginize my xp?.....is this possible and if it is, how do i go about doing it?

thanks,

d.c.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You have not mentioned a recovery cd from dell. Dell did put a program on your computer called the dell OS Recovery CD that let you make a single CD with the OS for recovery purposes. I hope you used it.

You will go thru a lot of trouble to try transferring installed programs and games to another computer. It would be far easier to install from the original cd's. On Downloaded games you should have saved the original exe files and burned them to a cd. It will be almost impossible to transfer them. Most of the time the companys won't let you redownload the games again. Many games are discarded by the companys and are not supported anymore. That is why it's important to backup the files so you can keep them. I have games backed up from 1996 that i still install on old computers i get running because i burned them all to CD's when i got my first TDK cd burner.

There are places you can buy a recovery cd from like this place.

http://www.hcditradi...sid/0/SFV/29664

I have not bought anything from these people so "buyer beware".

It would be far easier to wipe the drive and reinstall XP for a clean install.

SRX660

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
shisho-
First question. The "games and programs" you refer to. Do you have the original CD's, or can you borrow them again? If the G & P's were installed from someone else's CD's, and those CD's aren't available, your options are limited. AFAIK you can't lift an installed program from a HDD, then re-install after formatting. When you install a program, it spreads little pieces of itself all over the place, changes the registry, etc. Not like a .jpg or .mp3, which is its own entity.
Second question. How were you planning to do a "system restore"? Do you mean wiping the HDD clean and re-installing? Do you have the original Dell CD that came with the PC? There's a lot of confusion about those OEM CD's. They are specific to the model of PC that they came with, because the drivers for the PC's hardware are bundled into those CD's. People keep trying to use them on other models and just make a mess of things.
Third question. Have you changed anything inside? Added a video card or anythign like that? If so, you'll have to do some preparation by finding the latest drivers for that exact card and burning them to a CD so you can install after formatting.
The website that srx660 refers to is interesting. I had no idea you could buy Dell "Recovery CD's". However, you'd want to find a Dell CD for your exact model, otherwise there will be driver problems.

If your old 2400 has never been wiped clean, it probably is due. The hassles will be worth the effort.

Is MS Office one of the programs you don't want to lose? Try OpenOffice. It's free, works super, and even lets you save your work in .doc if you prefer. Hurray for open source!

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thought this nugget might be worth adding...

Often OEMs (PC manufacturers like Dell or Packard Bell) often use a second partition on the main harddrive that contains the specific drivers for a system and the bare-bones windows install files (the recovery CD simply accesses these to "restore" windows). Please check this before you delete any partitions or format anything!

Just thinking it's better to mention and be wrong than not and loose them ;¬o

- Pseudopath.

Edited by Pseudopath, 09 September 2006 - 10:59 AM.

Logicman

Logicman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Dell Computers after July 2004 have a recovery partition onboard which is accessed by using CTRL & F11 on boot up. If for any reason your master boot record has been over written then you will need to run a tool called DSR fix which will re-write the mbr and enable you to access the recovery partition once again. The recovery partition uses ghost to replace the O/S to new which is a quicker process than installing the OS from disk, once done then its a case of getting rid of the bloatware crap Dell tend to install. You can as mentioned, install from the Dell recovery CD which will take a little longer, but you dont get the bloatware crap installed.

More information about DSRFix (if needed) can be found here