Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can this system run Battlefield 2?

• Please log in to reply

speedman

speedman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
My system is:

Intel pentium 2.80GHz HT
512MB RAM
Geforce FX5500 256MB AGP
Windows XP PRO2
Gigabyte integrated sound card chip

What do I need to change?

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
It appears your video card is not on the list of supported cards. Then get at least another 512 megs of RAM. Some of the maps are >700meg.

:whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
The only thing I see is that it wants a video card that's a GeForce 5700 or greater, and you have a lower model... It may not make a difference though, we would have to really check into that. Also, I would upgrade RAM if possible. Some people say that 512 does them just fine with the game, but I have 2 gigs and find it necessary.

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I agree, find a decent supported card for Battlefield 2, then upgrade your ram to 1GB if you can, It can be "pricy", although in the long run it pays off.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 10 September 2006 - 01:58 PM.

speedman

speedman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
OK, will a 6800\256MB\AGP card run the game realy good and a next stick of 512MB or what do you guys recommend. One more thing, I have this in my system 512MB\DDR\400\CL3 will this work in there too 256MB\DDR\333\CL2.5 or its a bad combination?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok first, the card will work. I have a 6800 myself, only it's PCI-E and not AGP. Some kind of thing though. You've got that down good. Now, how much RAM can your computer handle? After you add so much, it won't read it. FOr example, my old computer can handle 1.5 GB of RAM, whereas my mother's laptop can only hold 512 MB. We need to make sure your computer can support all this RAM. Is it custom built? If not, please provide me with the name of the manufacturer and also the system model, and I'll research this for you.

speedman

speedman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I built my computer, It can hold 2GB of RAM, just want to no if the 256 will work with the 512. Because I had it in and the speed goes down. But when the 512 is in by itself it stays it speed.

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Yea, don't install too much RAM, your computer actually has to be able to control your RAM in-order to use it. I'll let Storm run this topic, thanks Storm.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 12 September 2006 - 08:27 AM.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
As a general note on adding hardware, especially when installing harddrives and ram, a computer will sense the speed of the hardware and adjust the speed of all devices to the SLOWEST device on the bus.

And when adding a significant amount of ram, 512 mb or greater, Windows will adjust 'virtual memory', accordingly, which may fragment the file. To avoid this, disable virtual memory, shutdown and install ram, startup, defrag, then readjust virtual memory to 1.5 times the installed ram capacity.

:whistling: