Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start-Up error message

• Please log in to reply

jimmie123

jimmie123

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
This has just started happening within the last week. If I turn my comp off, when I restart it, bofore Windows opens, I get a message which states that a system file was unable to be updated and to press a key to continue. I press a key, everything works fine. This is more of an annoyance than anything else, but I'm curious what file is unable to be updated, and why. I'm suspecting that it could be my McAfee AV. THey are currently updating things, but because I run Win 98SE, I won't be able to benefit from any of the updating. I'm wondering if possibly I got an internet update from them, downloaded it, but because my system isn't compatible with their "update" now I'm getting this message. THis is only a suspicion, nothing more. THanks for any help anyone can provide in advance.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
You can got to Start> Run> msconfig and disable it to see if that is your problem. If it is not reverse the process and re-enable it.
If you have the resources (System RAM) you could install a firewall to catch the process trying to send the outbound message.
I recommend a firewall anyways as part of a multi-layer security system.
Try SyGate 5.6. It is light on resources. Takes 30 to 50 Kb of RAM.

SyGate 5.6

jimmie123

jimmie123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks, I'll try that. However, I got another Mcafee "update" tonite....all of the updates I've been getting from them recently require a restart. Before, they just downloaded and that was that. Anyway, when I restarted the comp, I didn't get the message. Perhaps whatever it was looking for was found....I have no idea. :whistling:

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
That last message may have been a program update. The others may have just been the definitions updating.
It is still a good idea to have a antivirus, several antispyware than actively scan, a software firewall, and a router w\ NAT, if you have cable, ADSL, or satellite HSI. IMO

jimmie123

jimmie123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
My experience with Mcafee is that when they update the definitions, (since I have it set to auto-update) it merely downloads, no restart required. However, in the past 2 weeks or so, every communication from them requires a restart. I contacted them via "live" chat (they have tech support with a free "LIVE CHAT" feature) The tech and I looked at everything, all was working as it should with no problems. I use Ad-Aware and Spybot religiously for spyware removal. However, I'm not familiar with your abbreviation ("NAT") regarding the router. I do have cable, and am using an older Linksys system - the router is a BEFWv11
SInce I have your attention (thanks again) I do have one other question. I've always heard that you shouldn't run 2 AV programs simultaneously since incompatibilities will happen. Obviously, I have Mcafee, but in addition, I have software that was put out by Trend-Micro (V-Com) called "Fix-It Utilities 5". There are some really nice software and hardware fixes included with this program, but an AV program is also included. I currently have the Fix-It AV disabled regarding auto-scan and email checking, however am wondering if there is something else I should in this regard. I don't want to not have Fix-It because of the other software contained within it. Thanks again for your assistance.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
It is bad to run two antivirus programs at one time, not to have them on your computer. As long as you only let one AV scan and leave the other one on manual or turn off you should be fine.
Is there a reason you do not use the second AV program instead of MacAfee? Trend-Micro is every bit as good as MacAfee.

Edited by acklan, 10 September 2006 - 07:58 AM.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

However, I'm not familiar with your abbreviation ("NAT") regarding the router. I do have cable, and am using an older Linksys system - the router is a BEFWv11

Hi,

For information purposes "NAT" stands for Network Address Translation.

Your router does support it according to the specs.

- Pseudopath.

jimmie123

jimmie123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks to both of you for the help. I'm seriously considering dropping Mcafee, since their new and improved version does me no good anyway (it doesn't support Win 98 or 98SE), plus it renews annually. The Trend-Micro AV came with the Fix-It Utilities, and was a one time expense, and they auto-update almost daily. Guess it's time to give Mcafee the bad news, lol.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Thanks to both of you for the help. I'm seriously considering dropping Mcafee, since their new and improved version does me no good anyway (it doesn't support Win 98 or 98SE), plus it renews annually. The Trend-Micro AV came with the Fix-It Utilities, and was a one time expense, and they auto-update almost daily. Guess it's time to give Mcafee the bad news, lol.

Glad to help.

As a side note regarding anti-virus software : I've not used Macfee but I do use NOD32 which I find to be excellent. I'm not sure whether it's a repetative subscription but I am very impressed with it so far. Visit the site for more info http://www.eset.com/.

- Pseudopath.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
There are four excellent freeware antivirus out there. I happen to use AVG free Edition, and find it works quite well. I have it on 11 of my 13 computer and have installed it on manyother with good results. I like it because all of my computers start with 98 or ME and are P-III or slower. It is very light on the resources. I hope we have been of some help.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft Defender (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
a² Free

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate 5.6 Free Personal Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

Best of all... they are free.

jimmie123

jimmie123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for all the links. Sygate Firewall is now installed, Mcafee is history, Trend-Micro is the only AV that I'm using......life is good...... :whistling:

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I am glad to see you have it under control. Excellent.