Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98SE not responding to my DSL connection

• Please log in to reply

compyuteriliterat

compyuteriliterat

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Originally the Internet explorer wouldn't open when I tried to connect to DSL. I was told it was corrupted and I need to reformat it by using my Application Recovery...which I did. Then I didn't have enough space on my hard drive. So I went about deleting files I thought were unecessary for the normal computer's use. Finally it booted, only to find that I needed to insert the product key and everything which was thrown away some time ago. So I went about searching wizards and files until luckily I found the information I needed and inserted it. Now I still can't connect and on starup I get these messages like, invalid backweb application...can't find CLIENTUTIL51.DLL. So I tried to put back in my Recov3ery Application Number 1 and it says it can't open because there are no .IMG files. So it won't run the program. I fear I erased something pertinent,didn't I? How do I get things back in gear? Thank you. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Computer make and model?

Backweb is (usually) a componant used for technical support by a number of large PC Makers, like HP and Compaq. It is not a critical componant and can be removed. It is not relevent to your problem...the fact that it is missing, however, likely indicates something else has gone awry.

The IMG file is a disk image stored on a CD...if your CD is not in the cd-rom reader, your recovery application will fail

compyuteriliterat

compyuteriliterat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The computer...you are correct is a Hewlett Packard Pavillon 6648C. The disk is in the drive when I click on startup folder. It says windowns cannot find program and ask me to locate it...which of course is well, you know.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't know what you mean by "when I click on startup folder"

compyuteriliterat

compyuteriliterat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
First of all, thank you for your help. :tazz:
I mean that when I put the recovery application cd into the cd rom. I then go to 'My Computer' and open and click on the M drive for cd rom which already has the name Hp_recovery(M:). I then click on this icon to open and it gives me two things, copydisk and startup. So, I click on startup and it opens a window that is entitled Program Not Found and inside this box is written Windows Cannot Find Program...this program is needed for opening files of type 'IMG File.'
Location of Program....Then there is a fill in with a blue cursor indicating C:\...and I'm supposed to fill in the rest.
Underneath there is the boxes for OK...Cancel....or Locate... I don't know where to look for this program...nmaybe I erased it in my quest to give the computer more disk space after I reformatted it. I think I've damaged something in my effort to reinstall the Internet Explorer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It very much sounds like you erased the HP TOOLS directory, if not, point the browse box to there...

Or, START > PROGRAMS > HP TOOLS >click HP Application Recovery

compyuteriliterat

compyuteriliterat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay! I have now reformatted my existing Windows 98 by using the application recovery CD. I can now access the DSL Line that and everything is in order, except, when I try to open the internet explorer. I get PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED MESSAGE. So, to resolve this I wento to start... Run ...and typed in regsvr32 softpub.dl and I get the message load library missing dll failed, get last error returns 0x00000485. Now, I'm stuck!

So, I downloaded a new version of internet explorer, IE6 setup,but it would not allow me to finish installation because it says setup cnnot find proxy settings etc.

Back to the drawing board or should I say motherboard?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
regsvr32 softpub.dll

Why on earth did you do that?

I have no frame of reference for where you are now. Since you used the application recovery disk, who knows what state your computer is in...Windows 98 did not include default network settings in most cases, so I would start there.

In control panel, double click the network icon....what do you see there?

compyuteriliterat

compyuteriliterat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
In configuration, I see
client for microsoft networks with a blue monitor,
microsoft family logon , blue monitor,
d link dfe-530 tx =pci adapterwith a green P icon in front
dial up adapter, green P icon,
Efficient Networks .P.P.P.o.E Adapter(NTSP3)with a green P in front

3 NetBEUI...One for the Dlink,one for the Efficient Networks and onefor HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet,

then TCP/IP D link DFE-530TX+PCI Adapter
TCP/IP Dial up Adapter
TCP/IP Efficient Networks P.P.P.o.E Adapter (NTSP3)
TCP/IP HP EN1207d-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whoa, how many network interface cards you got in there...?

You've done more than just run recovery, right? Looks like you ran some DSL software from your ISP....

and what is the primary network logon?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
btw, you said you can now access your dsl line....how do you know that?

compyuteriliterat

compyuteriliterat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, I ran the cd to reinstall my DSL. The Primary Network card is Efficient Networks, I think...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, primary network logon...in the box with

the client for microsoft networks with a blue monitor,

It should be

client for microsoft networks

NOT

and....

btw, you said you can now access your dsl line....how do you know that?

compyuteriliterat

compyuteriliterat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Client for Microsoft Networks is probably it. I know I can access the DSL because when I connect, the connect box is on my computer screen and the Enternet reading gives me a positive read out.All lights are green. Then, The Internet explorer tries to connect but it just comes to the conclusion PAGES CANNOT BE DISPLAYED. So, I believe its's the explorer and its components that are causing the hookup not to be completed.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I want to you to do several commands

Start > run type

command.com

This will pop up a black box

type
ping 127.0.0.1
what happens