Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring files from one pc to another

• Please log in to reply

catt

catt

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there!

I'm new to this forum, and have a problem with tranferring files from my laptop ME to my desktop XP, and also the other way around. too. :whistling:

Thanks for your help.[size=3]

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
How are you trying to move the files? The easiest way would be via LAN if you have both computers connected to a router. Next I would use a USB drive. A CD or DVD burn works very well, but is time consuming.

catt

catt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I do have a Wi-Fi thing between the 2 computers. Is this what is known is a LAN? How do I go about transferring files this way :whistling: ( I have a lot of photos).
Thanks.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
You'll need to make sure each is configured to contact the other and then connect them and copy the files.

This might not be the simplest way but I'm fairly sure it'll work, my test version of Me had to be wiped otherwise I would check ;¬)

Anyway here goes :-

On the Me machine click Start->Run and in the box type "command".
In the black box that appears type "winipcfg" (without the quotes) and press enter.
A few line should have come up but you're interested in one that contains "IP address".
It should give a number formated like this "W.X.Y.Z".

This is your network address for the Me machine; write it down.

Now on the XP machine click Start->Run and type "cmd" (different than before).
A black box just like before will pop up, now type "ping W.X.Y.Z" (without the quotes and where W.X.Y.Z is number you wrote down.
Again a few lines should display but you're only interested in a small part.
Look for something similar to "Reply from W.X.Y.Z: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255" and finally "Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),".
This establishes that you should be able to connect to your Me machine from the XP.

Return to the Me machine, we need to allow access to the appropriate files. First find them in Windows Explorer (Click Start->Right click My Computer and then Explore). Perhaps they are all in your "My Documents folder". Let's assume they are; Right click the "My Documents" folder and select "Share". Now complete the dialog that opens with a name to use; "Shared Me Documents" would be okay. Click "OK".

Go back to your XP computer and next open Windows Explorer here, click Start->Right click My Computer and select Explore. Now in the "address bar" that says "My Computer" overtype this with the number you wrote down earlier (the one of the form W.X.Y.Z). This should connect you to the Me computer and now showing just below the address bar should be the "Share" you created a moment ago.

Easiest way to go about copying would be a bulk "copy and paste" involving the entire "Share", maybe to your XP Desktop. Depending how big the folder is the copy could take a few minutes at least.
Once complete you can then browse through at your leisure through the copied folder and move them to where you want them to be.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

- Pseudopath.

Edited by Pseudopath, 09 September 2006 - 10:18 AM.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Oh yeah, that'll work. You need to set the "Shared Documents" so that the other computer can have access to it. Right click the folder in My Computer. Select "Sharing and Security", check both boxes and give the folder a name that will be seen on the LAN. Example: Computer1 or Notebookcomputer1.
You can then use Map a Network Drive in the Tools in the menu bar.
Once you have mapped the drives you will need to restart the computers.
Which XP do you have? Home, Multimedia Edition, or Professional? Which service pack, and the Make and model of router.
When you get them networked you can open two windows on the computer you wish to move the files to. One with the files\folder you wish to move (on the remote computer) and a windows showing the folder you wish to place the files\folder in.
When you have only those two windows open right click the task bar at the bottom of the page and select, "Tile Horizontally". When the two windows tile simply drag and drop the files\folders from one location to the next. Then undo tile when you are finished.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Oh yeah, that'll work. You need to set the "Shared Documents" so that the other computer can have access to it. Right click the folder in My Computer. Select "Sharing and Security", check both boxes and give the folder a name that will be seen on the LAN. Example: Computer1 or Notebookcomputer1.

To clarify this should be done on the Me machine.

You can then use Map a Network Drive in the Tools in the menu bar.
Once you have mapped the drives you will need to restart the computers.

Not that I'm saying you're wrong acklan but restarting after mapping a network drive shouldn't be necessary.

As an important note make sure if you use the Map a Network Drive method that you uncheck "reconnect at logon" (if it's there) otherwise you'll likely get and error every time you start windows.

When you get them networked you can open two windows on the computer you wish to move the files to. One with the files\folder you wish to move (on the remote computer) and a windows showing the folder you wish to place the files\folder in.

So there's no confusion this bit should be done on the XP computer.

When you have only those two windows open right click the task bar at the bottom of the page and select, "Tile Horizontally". When the two windows tile simply drag and drop the files\folders from one location to the next. Then undo tile when you are finished.

Nice info I'll remember that myself. Thanks.

@acklan - please excuse my picking at your post but I thought some of the statements could be confusing for non techies.

@catt - my intention here wasn't to patronise but to make sure the information was presented in a manner that helped your understanding of what we are suggesting and not muddy the waters so to speak.

- Pseudopath.

catt

catt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Guys! I really appreciate your help, but it didn't work, because the pcs were already configured by another person, and I don't understand the workings of it.

Pseudopath: On the Me pc, it appeared to be working, then when I entered the information on the XP pc it wouldn't accept the information.

Ackland: When I tried your version, it couldn't be mapped, because "no network was found". Oh, and I'm using XP Professional.

I know that this Me laptop is ready for the junk heap. I never liked Me anyway. It's unable to work on OE any more, so Incredimail was installed. I need a new laptop!

Thanks again, guys.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Thanks Guys!

You're welcome!

I really appreciate your help, but it didn't work, because the pcs were already configured by another person, and I don't understand the workings of it.

Please explain what you mean by already configured?

Pseudopath: On the Me pc, it appeared to be working, then when I entered the information on the XP pc it wouldn't accept the information.

going through the steps I quoted what did or didn't work, please quote error messages.

Ackland: When I tried your version, it couldn't be mapped, because "no network was found". Oh, and I'm using XP Professional.

That's useful thanks.

I know that this Me laptop is ready for the junk heap. I never liked Me anyway. It's unable to work on OE any more, so Incredimail was installed. I need a new laptop!

Thanks again, guys.

Just keep providing info, the more the merrier!

- Pseudopath.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP

@acklan - please excuse my picking at your post but I thought some of the statements could be confusing for non techies.

- Pseudopath.

No offence taken. You were not being rude or mean and your points were valid and well taken.

Peace, Ack.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate your help, but it didn't work, because the pcs were already configured by another person, and I don't understand the workings of it.

Thanks again, guys.

Have considered Windows 2000 Pro? It is very light on resources, and shoulld very compatible with your notebook. I have it running on a P-II 400 with only 128Mb of RAM and it work very well. I have 10 of 13 of my computers running W2k. I upgraded them from ME with no regrets. I think of it a XP Lite.
I have 11 GX1 P-III 500Mhz and 2 P-II 400 (Mother and bother) running W2k. It is a life extender for older PCs that cannot handle XP well or at all.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
catt, how much stuff then, I mean if we are talking about photos however many I don't think it is going to be something that a USB key couldn't transfer, go into properties of the folder that these photos are in and tell us roughly what size we are dealing with.

catt

catt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Pseudopath: both PCs were configured by other people to transfer files to each pc, but I never really figured it out. :blink:

The error message on the XP read: (Code) "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
When I tried your suggestions again, the ME IP address read "0.0.0.0.)

The laptop was difficult to type with, having an oversensitive keyboard, and no-one seemed to find anything wrong with it, until last year when the oversensitive keyboard was repaired! Recently, it would not accept updates to OE, so that's why Incredimail was installed (which is not a favourite with me, although I like the butler. :whistling:

aclan: I have been thinking quite seriously for a month or so about buying a Mac laptop. I know it will not accept a lot of software, but I'm not into games, and I rarely do anything else on the computer except photos and the web.

fleamailman: Not much stuff, just photos from the laptop-around 290 pics, almost all at 1504 x 100. I had been thinking about a USB key, having seen them advertised, and was wondering if they could transfer my photos. Now I know! Thanks. I will look into this..thanks to all-I appreciate everyones' advice, and you've all been so nice! :help:

catt

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Pseudopath: both PCs were configured by other people to transfer files to each pc, but I never really figured it out. :blink:

The error message on the XP read: (Code) "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
When I tried your suggestions again, the ME IP address read "0.0.0.0.)

The laptop was difficult to type with, having an oversensitive keyboard, and no-one seemed to find anything wrong with it, until last year when the oversensitive keyboard was repaired! Recently, it would not accept updates to OE, so that's why Incredimail was installed (which is not a favourite with me, although I like the butler. :whistling:

Thanks for the update, the command to check the IP address on an XP machine is "ipconfig".
Try that on it and see what you get.

Do you access the internet on the Me machine without problem?

Although from the looks of things it's gonna be a little tricky sorting this out...

- Pseudopath.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Keys are dead cheap, did you understand the bit about the properties thing I mentioned since it will always give you an idea about how much to total number of photos means in mb, and then doing the same thing with the key gives you the amount of space free in mb. Also, in XP there is a thing called briefcase which might interest you since that undates files that you might be working on between comps. Anyway, sorry if you already know this, thought someone else might take interest then. I myself am not too keen on opening up networks to share stuff in case they end up being compromised.

Edited by fleamailman, 11 September 2006 - 02:31 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I hope people don't mind me barging in. Catt, if you have a digital camera you can buy this cheap converter here and use the cameras SD card to transfer everything you want to another computer( that is if your camera uses SD cards).

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have been using these adapters for a few months now with no problems. The one thing you do not want to do is delete the camera files put on the sd cards. I just write down what windows sees and don't delete them. I have been buying the 1 gig SD cards on sale at bestbuy and circuit city for $24 to use in these and my cameras. Plenty of room for almost anything you want to do. When it only costs $8, why not.

Heres a combo kit you can buy.

http://www.surplusco...p;item=DRV10938

cheers,
SRX660