Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remove Data

• Please log in to reply

geordiegal

geordiegal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
remove all my data off my PC. As i am giving it away to someone else and dont know alot about these technical things. But have had my computer for about five or six years and so it will have a lot of information such as, account no, ect, and will want rid, of all traces, of any of my details. Left on this computer when handing it over.

Any help please <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Easiest way is to go to the website of your hard drive manufacturer and download their "low-level" formatting tool. This will fill the entire drive with zero's. A very advanced user could still recover some data with enough time and the right tools. (However, it's probably not worth their time and money) :D

Here's a free program that claims to erase a drive to military specifications: http://staff.washing...ve/install.html

There's actually quite a few data wiping programs, but again with enough time and money, it's almost impossible to complete erase a hard drive (see scanning, tunneling microscope). For complete security you must physically destroy the hard drive and platter(s). <_<