Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows canceling Progs all By itself

• Please log in to reply

SpeedyRacer

SpeedyRacer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So last nite my laptop was fine, played Wow and all sorts of stuff. Today I turned it on and all of a sudden windows wont let me start anything without it cancelling or trying to cancel the programs. I tried to start World of warcraft and it exits out before it even gets started. Tried to delete files from folders and it cancels the deletion in the middle of the deletion. Has anyone heard of this happening and what can I do about it? Oh and I did try and reformat the hard drive but it seems to have affected the bios in some way also. It wont let me go to another selection, just puts the options on the Save and Exit option!

SpeedyRacer
Here is a recent copy of Hijack this.

Advertisements

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Dude that sucks! It is possible that you have had a major attack and may even of had your BIOS flashed as well as possibly had a Root Kit installed on your system. If you are able to downlaod and use software and use online AV do these.

1. Go to AVG's homepage and download and try and use it.
2. Go to ActiveScan's homepage and run there full scan to see if they pick anything up.
3. If these fail make sure you back up ALL your programs/apps etc and try and possibly take it in to a good computer shop.

Sorry i can't be more help but that sounds quite bad, just mae sure your data is all on CD's/DVD's so atleast you have all that.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
At what point, and exactly what did you do to reformat the hard drive?
Johanna

SpeedyRacer

SpeedyRacer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So I put in my Wipedrive disk and had to start it manually cause it wouldnt start on its own like it normally does. I let the disk do all the work. The drive is cleannow but still didbt fix the problem with the BIOS doing what it is doing. While trying to load windows back onto the hard drive it still does the same things, when the screen gives me selections it starts to make them for me or just reverts back to another screen. Windows will not load so I have come to the conclusion it is time to send in the laptop and have the bios flashed and cmos reset.
Speedy

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I would agree that you need to have it sent away for repairs.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Since you have presumably wiped the drive, you need to set the boot order in the BIOS to read from the cd first, and you need your real XP cd or restore disk that came with your laptop to be inserted into the drive when you boot the computer.

For more info:

http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

What exactly were you trying to change in the BIOS to affect how XP was performing?

Johanna

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Oh also did you actually re-install windows and did you do a 1st or 2ed stage install?

SpeedyRacer

SpeedyRacer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I cant load windows. It wont let me. When it gets to the page that I can select a hard drive to load on, the page just flashes and goes to reboot. Its like it is making its own decisions. Not sure why it would do that.

I wasnt trying to change anything but what u just said. I was setting the master drive to the CD. Anyway it was weird how the BIOS automatically takes itself to the exit tab. I try to move it over to the advance tab and it quld automatically take itself back to the exit/save tab. Anyone ever seen this happen before. I dont know what it could have been. Anyway i have to try and get the bios back to normal before i can try and load windows again.

Speedy

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I don't usually advise monkeying around taking laptops apart. If this were a desktop computer, I'd tell you how to clear CMOS, which returns your motherboard to default settings, and makes you reset the clock. What key are you hitting to access the BIOS at boot? I'm wondering if there is another way in. Google your model and BIOS and check. I think it's strange that you are not being presented with normal screens, and you are using your arrow keys and following the prompts? It sounds like a loop. If you don't get anywhere with Google, I'm going to ask the hardware experts to take a look at this. They may know a way to jumpstart the BIOS back to right on your brand of laptop.
Johanna

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I would say it might be your RAM, download and use MEM test And thaat will run a cheak on your RAM to see if that is a problem.