Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes after clean install

• Please log in to reply

NuttySquirrel

NuttySquirrel

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello
I have an older Windows ME machine that was brought to me that had a bunch of viruses/spyware and would freeze up all the time. So I just reformatted it and put Windows 98SE on it. When it loads, it freezes within 5 minutes. The only way it doesn't freeze is if I boot to Safe Mode. I even tried the "diagnostic startup" under msconfig but still no luck. Some of the devices (video and network) are coming up as "Unknown" in the System properties but even when I disable them it still freezes. I try to update the drivers to the necessary ones but everytime I try to it I can't make it in time before it freezes up. So I reformat again and this time I try to use Windows ME and it still freezes. I am all out of ideas.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I would start by cleaning out the inside of the computer. Heat can be a real issue with computers making them unstable. When you open the case turn the power on for a few moments and check to see that all the fans are running. On that old of a computer you will probably only have a power supply, CPU, and case fan. If it is a Dell or Compaq the case fan may serve double duty as the processor fan also. Check the heat-sink on the processor and make sure it is not matted with trash. If you do not have to do not remove the heat-sink from the processor. If you do remove it be sure to apply a thin coat of thermal paste, available at most computer stores.
You will also want to replace the BIOS (motherboard) battery. These fail every 2 to 5 years and also can cause erratic behavior with in your PC. About $4 at Walmart.