Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't access some websites

• Please log in to reply

matromes

matromes

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi - I have not been able to access www.verizonwireless.com or www.craigslist.com on my desktop for a year. This is also true of a few other websites. I can access them from my 2 laptops which have a wireless connection to my Comcast Cable modem. I have run thru all of the prerequisite malware cleanups. The error msg is below. Thanks for your help!

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First thing I would do is check if it's an Internet Explorer problem by installing an alternative web-browser and trying that on the websites you mention. Most people choose Mozilla Firefox as an alternative, and you can get it here:
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

matromes

matromes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I did try mozilla last month. No change. I have also tried several versions of IE thinking it might be a bug that has been patched. No luck.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
What security software are you running? Could that be filtering the sites? Does the problem persist in safe mode with network?

matromes

matromes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi - I am running TrendMicro PC-cillin. The problem persists even when I turn it off.