Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard failure

• Please log in to reply

Bruxy

Bruxy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been away all week. Before I left I shut my PC down for the last time, only to find it restarted as soon as it switched off. I shut it down again and again it came on. I physically turned it off by holding the power button, but again it came back on. In the end I just switched it off at the mains.

Anyway, I get back and try to get on to my PC. I switch the mains back on and press the power; nothing happens but a little click - over and over again.

The motherboard is an Abit AN8. The POST codes flick from 2 to 00 when the mains power is connected, but when I press the power button it flicks to F. and stays there. None of these codes are listed in the manual, which is typical.

I've reset the CMOS as per the troubleshooter, even taken out the button battery, but still no luck. I really need to get on my computer because I've got some important stuff to sort out today and I'm starting to get stressed :whistling:

Can anyone help?

Cheers.

Advertisements

Bruxy

Bruxy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ooo, on a side note while I was typing that first post I'd left it sat there for a while. I just tried pressing the power to depress myself a little more and it turned on. Unfortunately there were no peripherals plugged in so I turned it off to get everything ready and now it's dead again...

I'll leave it to "settle" for a while again and see what happens.

Bruxy

Bruxy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, it appears that it needs about 3 minutes to settles, both without power then with mains power before you try and boot it. I'll see what happens after "normal use"