Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe running at 99%CPU and freezes

• Please log in to reply

andrewlee

andrewlee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I run XP pro with all MS updates. My laptop is a sony viao - 1.6ghz, 512 ram. When I scroll through my files in My Computer, the process explorer.exe freezes at nearly 100% cpu usage. I have to end the explorer.exe process and run it gain to get my laptop going. It happens all the time. PLease tell me what is my problem.

Thanks

Andrew Lee

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

If this problem started right after doing a windows update, I'd suggest doing a system restore back in time right before the update. Or if maybe something was installed and that started happening, go back to a restore point before that.

To get to your system restore points, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

If you don't have a restore point before this problem occured, or if it doesn't work, do this:

Download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.