Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Repair a Boot Leg Version of Windows

• Please log in to reply

ark_lover

ark_lover

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Took my system into a local computer shop after mother board fried. The shop put a boot leged copy of windows on my hard drive with out me knowing. Had some issues running some of the programs, started doing research. Found out the xp windows version is not a certified version! Found this out two years after I took it into the "computer shop"

Called Microsoft - they won't talk to me until I purchase their genuine version. I had a genuine version before. Do not have the original cd's with code. :whistling:

System is a HP Pavilion MX 70. Called HP they sent me 6 recovery disc's. Tried loading them in my D drive. They will not run.

I am needing help to figure out what to do in getting my system back and putting on these restore disc's

Most of my programs to not work or I am having glitches in the ones that do.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge.

HJT Log edited out and attached

[attachment=10644:attachment]

Edited by Keith, 09 September 2006 - 01:22 PM.

Advertisements

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi ark_lover,

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with an non-authentic copy of Windows.
After checking the site's terms of use I'm still not sure whether the site offers support for non-genuine products. Although it's a good thing you've been up front and honest about it I strongly suggest you obtain a legal copy! As you've found Microsoft should be ALOT more helpful (justifiably so) and you can be sure that your Windows disk and/or installation is secure (pirate or boot-leg version could include anything the criminals producing it wanted!)...

- Pseudopath.

ark_lover

ark_lover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank You Pseudopath,
Appreciate the reply. I feel that HP feels this was an unjustifiable act by the computer store or they would not of sent me the recovery discs.

Wondering ... I know there is a way to erase everything on your system and start over. Just not sure if this is the solution and wondering if the recovery disc's that HP sent me would put be back complete again?

Any comments or solutions?

ark_lover

ark_lover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Might add. The first time I put the HP recovery disc's into my d drive they worked. I oppted to exit out because I had not backed up my important documents.

They were there, working, now im missing drivers or something for them not to come up. When I put the disc's in they come up asking me what program I am wanting to view files in. They are comming up as if they are photo's or pdf files. However when I open the folder the information os there? what drive would i need to help run this?

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I'm sorry but I am not able to help you.

As a someone that does not approve of software piracy in any form I would be a hypocrite if I did!
In addition I'm Microsoft Certified so I CANNOT condone you using an illegal copy!

Before I can help you I must have indisputable proof of you possessing a guenuine Microsoft Windows product (this is why I posted initially).

- Pseudopath.

NOTE : My moral and legal position does not necessarily reflect that of geektogo.com or anyone affiliated with said site.

ark_lover

ark_lover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Unfortunatly I was a victim of someone else's wrong doing. Although I do not make it a habit of the position I am in. I was up front and honest and felt I was a victim myself.

Sorry to bother you

Edited by ark_lover, 09 September 2006 - 01:16 PM.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Unfortunatly I was a victim of someone else's wrong doing. Although I do not make it a habit of the position I am in. I was up front and honest and felt I was a victim myself.

Sorry to bother you

ark_lover,

I realise you are probably an innocent party here but I do not have any margin in this regard.
Given you have been completely up front about the situation DOES add credebility to your claims and to you being a trustworhty person. However I am bound by my own morals and word (I'm sure you appreciate this) to do what I am obliged to do.

You are not bothering me, but I am trying to help you as much as I can! I'm sorry I can do nothing more personally...

- Pseudopath.

ark_lover

ark_lover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No problem

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts