Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive malfunctioning

• Please log in to reply

dmartinez04

dmartinez04

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ive been having trouble with my Samsung CD-R/RW SW-248F CD drive. It sometimes suddenly ejects by itself when im starting the computer or when I'm just doing normal tasks on the computer. Sometimes its hard to close it again because I push to close and it keep ejecting for a while. It also sometimes doesnt read the discs right away. It'll sound like its reading them then suddenly stops and ejects them. I tried using a cd lens cleaner thing but I guess didnt work. BTW, I like to put my computer on hibernate but lately when I put it in hibernate I wake up to find the computer on because it has been turning itself on after a certain amount of time that its been in hibernation. Hopefully I can get some help.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Have you tried going to Samsung's website and downloading the latest drivers for your drive model? As for hibernation, are you using an external mouse or the touchpad? When did both issues start? Have you made any changes to the system?

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi dmartinez04,

Good questions Stormknight6!

For your information while Windows Vista appears to be designed to Hibernate as default other versions of Windows should, where there's no reason not to, be shutdown properly. It's effective house-keeping after all!

Also I'd strongly suggest you run some sort of Malware detection, unusual computer activity is often indicative of infection.

A cut from another thread (Go to the post regarding Adaware) :-

Step One: Scan for Spyware/Adware
Ad-aware SE - Download - Home Page
1) Download and install.
2) Run the Webupdate feature. (Click on the Globe icon, Click connect, Click OK, Click Finish.)
3) Set up the Configurations (Gear wheel at the top) as follows:
General Button > Safety & Settings: Check (Green) all three.

Tweak Button > Cleaning Engine > UNcheck "Always try to unload modules before deletion".
4) To start the scan, Click > "Scan Now"
Deselect "Search for negligible risk entries" as negligible risk entries (MRU's) are not considered to be a threat.

Select "Search for low-risk threats"

Select "Perform full system scan"

Click Next
5) When the scan has completed, select Next.
In the Scanning Results window, select the "Scan Summary" tab.
Check all objects found in the Critical Objects tab that you wish to remove
Click Next, Click OK.

Better safe than sorry.

- Pseudopath.

dmartinez04

dmartinez04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yea I kind of new I shouln't be putting hibernate all the time but still it had never been turning itself on. I barely started happening a week ago when I moved to my dorm room and set it up using ethernet. As for the cd-drive, its been opening itself for a few months now. Not sure if it just needs a really good cleaning or what. Ive tried several different scans for viruses/trojans, adware, and spyware but I dont know if they did any good. Here's my hijackthis log so I can maybe get some advice or something can be found that I haven't been able to find on there yet.

HJT log removed

Edited by don77, 10 September 2006 - 06:17 AM.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hello dmartinez04

you clealy have malware on your system which some of the scanners should have definately removed,

Please run through the steps outlined in this Topic
Post back a fresh log in the Malware forum please

After you are given the all clean from the malware forum and if your still having issues please return to this topic