Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Input Signal Out of Range

• Please log in to reply

Eric Melech

Eric Melech

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can't play 95% of the games that I try because my monitor goes blank and says [topic title]. What the heck does that mean? I can still hear the games; which is how I know that the monitor is the problem child. Is it trying to tell me that my resolution is too high/low? It seems that my monitor (Compaq FP 5315; flat panel) can't recognize anything other than 800x600 and 1024x768. I also have a GeForce 6800 OC that the monitor connects to. I think it's the problem as I attempted to connect an "old-fashioned" monitor that can recognize below 360x480 all the way to 1600x1024 and it still says [topic title]. Maybe it isn't the resolution but the refresh rates, which I know nothing about (vert: 72hz, horz: 57.9khz; whatever that means). I looked at the config with one of the games and it doesn't recognize the sound card, the mouse, the monitor, the display device (I think this is gfx card).

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It means what you thought, your resolution is set too high for your monitor

The max resolution for that monitor is 1024 x 768 resolution, in fact LCD's have a prefered resolution -- different resolutions will be less clear or result in the message you stated. You will have to run your games at that resolution.

If you previous ran your games on a different monitor, their configuration setting will be fixed unless you change it (through game controls of config file).

Eric Melech

Eric Melech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, how do I change the resolution of my games if I can't see any of the menus? Dang it, I wish I had never got that Compaq...