Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i have a problem with lagg

• Please log in to reply

ed williams

ed williams

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok i play a game called age of empires 2 the conquerors expansion pack, and when i go play online with other people i always lag. My computer specs are much more then what the requirements for the game are. Heres my computer specs.

Windows xp
256 MB ram (i know this may be the problem but is there anyway around it besides getting more ram?)
1100MHZ (1.1 ghz)
geforce2 mx 400 (64 mb)
Intel celeron CPU
I know the computer is quite old but it still should be able to play without so much lag.
Can anyone help plz.

before i forget i use high speed cable as a internet provider so i know its not that. and that i even changed the detail setting to low and it still didn't do anything. Ive done scans with bunch of spyware programs im free of spyware and such.

Edited by ed williams, 09 September 2006 - 02:38 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. While it's likely that the RAM is one issue, it could be other things as well. While we're still on the hardware topic, your video card is a little bit on the low side, but it shouldn't make a huge difference like you explain. I suggest first trying to upgrade your video card drivers. I see you have a NVIDIA card, so let's go to www.nvidia.com and at the top-left, let's put your mouse over Download Drivers, and in that little drop down box, select Download Drivers. You will now see three boxes. In the first box, click on Graphics Driver. In the second box, click on GeForce adn TNT2 (should be the first option). In the third box, select Windows XP/2000, and then click on the Go button. Now, I just checked, and your video card is supported for this driver, which means this is the right file. Anyway, you should now be at the driver page. It should say ForceWare Release 90 Version: 91.47 Release Date: September 1, 2006 WHQL Certified. Click on the Primary Download Site link, and it will begin the download. Please note that while you are downloading this file, you should not have any download accelerators active. Just for the sake of convenience, save the file to your desktop. next step is to install. I want you to close down all instant messaging, e-mail, and internet browsers (print this page!). Now, some people believe differently, however, NVIDIA suggests that you disable your virus protection software while installing. I would just stay on the safe side and do it. You should be just fine. Once you have disabled it, you need to uninstall your old drivers. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove. The drivers should now uninstall themselves. Now, you may be asked to restart your computer after installing them. Go ahead. Note that if you do, your display is going to be a little "funky" when you restart. That's ok, it's normal. Now, once again disable your antivirus software, and close all instant messaging, e-mail, and browser windows, and double-click on that install file we downloaded. After this, I want you to follow the on-screen instructions provided by that install file. Note that once it is done installing you will need to restart the computer. After, your graphics should return to normal. If not, perhaps your resolution is wrong. Say it set it to 800x600, but you're used to 1024x768. This setting, and most like it can be changed by right-clicking on the desktop, click on Properties. Click on the Settings Tab, and move the resolution slider over to where you want it. Click on Apply, and then ok. Hopefully this will help you. Good luck :whistling:

ed williams

ed williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok did what u told me to do. i have new drivers in. Is there anything else i could do while were at it?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I know you're anxious lol Let's do this one at a time to make a proper diagnosis. Keep us posted.

ed williams

ed williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
what??

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You said you put the drivers in. Did it help? I just say to take it one at a time, becuase you never said if the drivers helped or not. For instance, let's not install tons of things if you only need one.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Do you have the latest patch for the game installed?
Have you tried reinstalling the game?
Out of date network card drivers can do this, do you have the latest?

ed williams

ed williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Out of date network card drivers can do this, do you have the latest?

I have the latest patches.
Whats do u mean network card?? the NIC card?? i have the same one that came with the comp of course. Can u update it?? or what r u talkin about?

Edited by ed williams, 10 September 2006 - 11:44 AM.

ed williams

ed williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
also updated the graphics drivers according to what storm said.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The NIC card is what I mean.

The game had issues with out of date network card drivers, try updating them.

ed williams

ed williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
How do i update them??? i have a TE100-PCBUSR 32-bit Cardbus PC card

But on everest it says i have another card to??

Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter [A/B/C]

But only 1 of them shows anything, and thats the TE100 one, but it doesn't give a link to update them.

Edited by ed williams, 10 September 2006 - 12:43 PM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
You can update the drivers by downloading them from the manufacturers website.

Which one are you using?

ed williams

ed williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
im using the TE100-PCBUSR 32-bit Cardbus PC card but idk wheres the site is for it.